Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My take on Autism....

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM
  • 5 Replies
4 moms liked this
I've worked with Autistic kids for years. There is nothing more frustrating than to hear or read all the misconceptions that are going around! Here are my biggest three:

1. There has NOT been a rise in Autism. There has been a rise in detecting and diagnosing. At an earlier age as well! And its wonderful! A lot of these children who get help right away have a great chance at a normal adult life.

2. Not all Autistic children are the same. They are all individuals. There is a WIDE spectrum!

3. Not all Autistic children misbehave or have " behavioral issues" Most of them have minimal like other children or none at all!
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
babymamalover84
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:13 PM
My 5 year old is autistic and I hate hearing about the common misconceptions. My son is a normal child...he just functions differently. The teacher he had for pre-k was really great with him. The school is helping him part time this coming school year. He will be in a regular kindergarten class part time and an ese kindergarten class part time during the day at school. He still poops himself and they won't let him wear pull ups to school despite him being diagnosed as autistic. I take it one day at a time.
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:19 PM
You sound like a good mom! Hugs

Quoting babymamalover84:

My 5 year old is autistic and I hate hearing about the common misconceptions. My son is a normal child...he just functions differently. The teacher he had for pre-k was really great with him. The school is helping him part time this coming school year. He will be in a regular kindergarten class part time and an ese kindergarten class part time during the day at school. He still poops himself and they won't let him wear pull ups to school despite him being diagnosed as autistic. I take it one day at a time.

ditsyjo
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:44 AM

I'll admit it's something I don't know much about.

marrionsmommy
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:56 AM
My son is not onvthe spectrum and I will admitmi believed all of this and was terrified he would be born autistic. Then my aunt had a son, and he is the sweetest, brightest, most loving kid ever. He is also severely autistic , he helped me see that its not a bad thing just a different thing. No different than being born dyslexic, or even gifted you just have to figure out what works for them. I know i love that little boy as much as my own and am so proud of how awesomely special he is.
teal_phoenix
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:47 AM

3. My son is what they call passive.

He is 3 years old and autisitc. Diagnosed June 6th of this year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)