Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Someone please help me. HOW DO I FEED MY TODDLER???

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:12 PM
  • 27 Replies
She's already eating table food. But she loves to just drop the food on the floor. So i try to spoon feed her so she'll actually eat but she hates it and tries to take the spoon from me. So i give her the spoon. And the puts the wrong end in her mouth trying to chew on it. So i try to take it from her to keep feeding her and she FLIPS out.

half the time i give up and just give her a bottle. But she's almost a year old so i know that won't cut it for long.

HOW DO I FEED THIS CHILD? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Katt709
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:14 PM
7 moms liked this
Offer her food and be done. If she drops it on the floor or just plays with it, she doesn't want it anyway. Clean her and the mess up when the meal time is over and move on. She'll eat when she's hungry.
sahmw2010
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this
This

Quoting Katt709:

Offer her food and be done. If she drops it on the floor or just plays with it, she doesn't want it anyway. Clean her and the mess up when the meal time is over and move on. She'll eat when she's hungry.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:42 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Sapphire Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I also kind of agree with this,
Good luck :)

Quoting Katt709:

mama23brie
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:22 PM
I know she's hungry though. She'll suck on her thumbs and cry and that usually means she's hungry. Or tired. But when i try and feed her its usually after she wakes up so i know its not that.
and i'm about to be breast feeding a newborn. Is there no way around constantly offering her food? That just seems like so much effort lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LADYxGHOST
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Stop giving her the bottle when she doesn't eat the food given to her. She will take meal time more serious when she is hungry. A child will not stare herself, she will eat when she is hungry.  Trust me, my children did the same thing and after a few meals it fixed the issue. however my SIL decided I was too harsh and catered to her boys. They are 5 and 8 and she still follows them around to feed them and beg them to eat and when they won't she gives in to feed them whatever they want.  Interstingly when I watch them they sit and eat the food given to them, it was that or go hungry. 

If your dd skips more than a days worth of meals, then stop feeding her solids for a week or so and try again. She isn't a toddler yet, she may not be ready to transition to solids. Reintroduce it every week or so for a day until it takes.

mama23brie
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:24 PM
And when i give her the bottle she drinks it all. That's another reason i know she's hungry. Or was before the bottle lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Katt709
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:25 PM
4 moms liked this
She's not yet a year old. So she should be getting all needed nutrients from formula or breast milk. Solids are for fun and practice. Offer 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. Give her the bottles as usual until at least 1 year old.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Her primary nutrition needs to be formula or breast milk still and give her finger foods to practice with.  Steamed veggies, cut up cheese, fruit etc.  

Welcome to motherhood, there is a ton of work involved and not the first childs fault that there will be a 100% dependent baby coming.

Put her in a high chair with 5 cheerios, 2 pieces of fruit/veggies etc.  When she eats those then she can have more.   When dd threw things or dropped things on floor that meant that she really was not hungry or it would go in her mouth.  I would put her down on the floor and try again in 10 minutes to see if she was hungry.

suzylost
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:37 PM
just dont worry just keep doing what your doing. put food on the spoon and guide to her mouth and then say good girl. then let her try then you do it again. I know how it is though you feel like shes not getting enough, it wont take her long to pick it up, just stick to it. and not to worry.hope it helped Suzylost
RADmomma
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM
I agree

Quoting frndlyfn:

Her primary nutrition needs to be formula or breast milk still and give her finger foods to practice with.  Steamed veggies, cut up cheese, fruit etc.  

Welcome to motherhood, there is a ton of work involved and not the first childs fault that there will be a 100% dependent baby coming.

Put her in a high chair with 5 cheerios, 2 pieces of fruit/veggies etc.  When she eats those then she can have more.   When dd threw things or dropped things on floor that meant that she really was not hungry or it would go in her mouth.  I would put her down on the floor and try again in 10 minutes to see if she was hungry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)