Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How to control him

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:36 PM
  • 17 Replies
My 2 year old is uncontrollable. He is horrible when it comes to do anything. It literally takes me 20 min to put him in the car because he starts kicking and biting and punching me for no reason. I try just buckling him and walking away but then he unbuckles. I don't know how else to control him othe then not bringing him out (but that also punishes my other 2 kids)

Any suggestions

Edit. I have put him in time out. Taken everything away and spanked him. What else can I do
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BoxxyBabee
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM
My 2yr old is the exact same. He is a nightmare
Edithle
by New Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 5:46 PM
I think you should spank him when ever he acts up and take away his toys and give your other two kids a reward for behaving well and tell your two year old when he starts to behave well you will give him his toys back and he will get a reward too.
s.bruinix
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM
I have spanked him and taken toys away and took away tv and took away snacks and he still acts this way. I have even made up a rewards chart. Nothing helps

Quoting Edithle:

I think you should spank him when ever he acts up and take away his toys and give your other two kids a reward for behaving well and tell your two year old when he starts to behave well you will give him his toys back and he will get a reward too.

kss12
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Is he talking? Got all his teeth?
Although neither of these reasons are legitimate reasons for a 2 year old to act up but maybe he's frustrated. Time out time mama. Put him in a room, take everything fun out and lock him in for 5 min.
RADmomma
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Pick a punishment & stick to it.

Tell him that hitting (bad behavior ) isn't nice & he needs to use his words. Make a big deal when he hits you so he sees it hurts.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:47 PM
2 moms liked this

How long are you trying each consequence?  There will be no instant fixes and could take a week or more for him to understand that mom means business about behaving. Time outs are usually my go to for this age since that is an immediate consequence and it would only be for 2 minutes.  If dd were to get out of her time out spot, she would be placed back in.  She is 7 now and we have graduated to losing privileges to keep time out consequences for while we are out of our house.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Is he on a schedule? Sleeping 12 hours a night? Does he talk yet? Have you had him evaluated by his pediatrician?

LongBeachLiz
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you tried changing your approach? If you are grouchy he is grouchy. Maybe make a game of things? Change your demeanor. My son.is night and day when I play instead of demand.
jlmc
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:26 PM
2 moms liked this

My aunt has her masters in child psyc and some other degree and she has always given me great advice, she told me to redirect my kids, not to get mad, not to say no, not to spank. Just redirect them. Start at home right, say he is heading over to punch someone, redirect him and distract him, get his mind onto something else. If you give him negative attention from it, spanking, yelling punishing, whatever then he is going to keep doing it. 2 year olds need directions and guidence not punishments, they dont understand punishment yet so it is not going to work. And be consistent do it everyday, it takes a while but keep it up I swear it works. She runs a daycare by herself with like 8 kids and 5 of her own and she does it flawlessly.

SissyAnn141
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Quoting Edithle:

There is a difference, in SPANKING and ABUSE.

All children are different.

Some just a look, can make them- mind .

OTHERS, YOU draw the line and they will challenge you.

ABUSE, is 'Bruises and welts. "

I would warn him, If you do not do this "I WILL SPANK" .

Then follow through with it........

"Clickable to Group "

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)