Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

ADD/ADHD

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM
  • 19 Replies

I know some of these behaviors may be normal for any child but where do you draw the line? Any bashing is not needed as I used to be one of those people who blamed it on bad parenting and still think some cases it may be. But obviously I dont believe my daughters "immaturity" is based on bad parenting. Thanks

Hi everyone.  I need some help. I think my DD(almost 8) has ADD. She is very "immature" in many ways including but not just her overall level of excitement over the littlest stuff(for example, she saw a hot dog stand and started jumping up and down and screaming "YAY!!!"). I would expect a 3 year old to act the way she does. We have to constantly repeat ourselves with her in very short periods of time. 5 times within 10 minutes. She has gotten in trouble at school for staring out the window during class, for talking during class, for jumping up and down when she was supposed to be sitting down and getting ready for the next lesson in class. She is very smart but we cant get her to CHILL OUT and tone it down when it needs to be. We have tried all forms of punishment/discipline and rewards and NOTHING is getting through to her.

Any thoughts/opinions/suggestions? Where do I go from here? She goes for annual checkup in september. How do I bring this up with the Dr without feeling like I am badmouthing DD in her presence(pointing out all the negative behaviors)?

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM
How are her grades? Is she aggressive?
sahmw2010
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:20 PM

as for immiturity, i have no clue, maybe part of the ADHD. my 8yr dd is ADD and she just has issues staying focused. i thell her to go put her clothes away and she starts to walk to her basket, then stops and asks what shes supposed to do again. and at school she wont stay focused.

xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM
DS's teacher and principal brought up the possibility at a conference. I mentioned it to his ped at our next visit and she gave me a form to have the teacher fill out,one to fill out ourselves, and said to call her when they were done so she could refer us to a psych for evaluation.

Immaturity can be a sign of ADHD but not so much for ADD. Same with excessive energy/inability to sit still. I think a lot of kids with ADD actually go the opposite way on that.

Question: does she have any issues related to sleep? Not get enough, have sinus or breathing troubles that could affect the quality, adenoid issues, anything? That can cause ADHD-like behavior.
sahm2kateli
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Her grades are really good. She can actually read on a high 2nd grade level (fixin to start 2nd grade. Was delayed starting school because of the age deadline. Comprehension wise, she may or may not be able to tell you what she read because she is so easily distracted. She seems to have a lot of trouble in math at times, other times she does great.

sahmw2010 that sounds just like my daughter except she would not ask what she is supposed to do. she just stands there for a minute looking confused and then walkes in her room to go play or do something else.

DH  and I are really at wits end. I try not to get so frustrated with her since I quite seldom do the same thing. I have never been tested/diagnosed though.

sahm2kateli
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM

no sleep issues or agression issues. She is very emotionally sensitive to the point of tears (just like i was and still am)

rmfanfgljf
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM
It's sounds like adhd to me too, it also sounds like op's dd does things by impulse, she can't help that.........my advice op is to research both add and adhd, write down the matching signs, write down any questions you want to ask and take that as your guide to her appt. They may have the teacher fill out a paper to help get her tested.

Quoting sahmw2010:

as for immiturity, i have no clue, maybe part of the ADHD. my 8yr dd is ADD and she just has issues staying focused. i thell her to go put her clothes away and she starts to walk to her basket, then stops and asks what shes supposed to do again. and at school she wont stay focused.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahm2kateli
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Thanks everyone. The outside perspective validates my feelings. Next question.....Would I have her 1st grade teacher to fill it out (last years) or this years (2nd grade) teacher since she will only have been in the new teachers class about a week at the time of the dr appt. hope that makes sense!

Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM
I am not sure it sounds like either to me after reading this stuff. I would talk to a doctor first and maybe a counselor before you make a decision on labeling it. And before I get torn up for this response I have one with ADHD and ODD, and a second with only ADHD. I'm speaking out of true opinion not judgement.

Quoting sahm2kateli:

no sleep issues or agression issues. She is very emotionally sensitive to the point of tears (just like i was and still am)

sahm2kateli
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Not judgement taken. I definitley dont want to have her labeled with anything unless absolutely necessary. I just wanted an outsiders perspective.

xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Have the new teacher. DS's took so long to fill the form out I thought she must have forgotten about it, and she'd been his teacher the year before too! By the time we got it back much of his behavior had improved. A new teacher may be better, as her judgement and observations will be unclouded by past transgressions that may no longer be an issue.

Quoting sahm2kateli:

Thanks everyone. The outside perspective validates my feelings. Next question.....Would I have her 1st grade teacher to fill it out (last years) or this years (2nd grade) teacher since she will only have been in the new teachers class about a week at the time of the dr appt. hope that makes sense!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN