Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How Much Do You Spend On Groceries A Week??

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM
  • 44 Replies

Okay..

My Husband complained the entire time we shopped today for the week for groceries. We have 5 children (18, 16, 12, 6, and 5). He says the children eat too much and he always sees them eating... that they should appreciate it more (the older three are his step children and the 5 yo is the only boy). They should jump when he says because he paid the food this week. I am the one who usually who pays for the food but was short this month due to extra bills. I also pay most of the bills though he does usually give me abt $400 to help for all bills (rent alone is $1250). Now I don't mind paying but hate when he complains he doesn't have enough for his beer and cigs for the week.

The groceries only cost........ $ 62 for the week for 7 people though may need to pay $ 20 more during the week for extras.  . I am very careful and use coupons a lot

How much do you pay??

=============================================

DB

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Your husbands a jerk. $82 a week for 7 people is getting away with murder. We are 4 total and with everyone having a special diet I feel accomplished when I get away with $100 a week.
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I do a huge monthly trip then just get veggies and fruit weekly. On an excellent month I stay under $600, bad month I hit $800.

We have DH and I, two 14 yr old boys, 13 yr old boy, 6 yr old boy, 20 month old boy and whichever friends of my kids that are at my home on any given day.

Summer is worse cause they are home and "bored"! :(
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:54 PM

We spend about $200 a week on food and we never have enough!  The kids always complain there is nothing to eat. 

Katmegali
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I guess I am lucky.. cause kids will consider Ramen Noodles a snack. I personally hate ramen noodles.. but I am not really a big eater any which way.

DB

usmchoney
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:00 PM
125 a week for 4 people.
usmchoney
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM
we must live in the same house, if one person is seen eating, the other wants food as well lol.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

We spend about $200 a week on food and we never have enough!  The kids always complain there is nothing to eat. 

VarelaClan
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Wow! Where do you live that rent is only 1250 a mth and food 62 a week?
Here in Colorado, rent for a house big enough to fit a family of 7 would be 1800-2000. 3 bedrooms go for like 1500. We spend about 300-400 a week on food. That's for a family of 6.
Maybe you should share how much it would be if you lived here.
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Quoting Katmegali:

I guess I am lucky.. cause kids will consider Ramen Noodles a snack. I personally hate ramen noodles.. but I am not really a big eater any which way.

My kids would love it if they had ramen as a snack but they eat fresh fruit, cheese, whole wheat crackers, and nuts as snacks.  

Katmegali
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:17 PM

We live on outskirts of Austin. It took over a month here before find a 4 bedroom house here.  

I try to be careful on food but spend too much on snacks I know. I got lucky this week and found chicken on sale for $.99 a pound.  I usually spend about $100 a week on grocerices but was extra careful this week. My kids are pretty good but do like sweets every now and then.

I don't mind but hate the grumbling when I try to be careful spending money.  The electric bill killed me this month at almost $ 500 due to the heat. Husband hates the heat and likes it cold in house.

Katmegali
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I buy that when I can.. I bought apples and bananas as snacks

DB

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN