Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Insurances won't pick up pregnant women?!?!

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:34 PM
  • 37 Replies

My cousin's husband just started working at a new job a week or two ago.  They had insurance through his old job, but now is on the 3 month probation period until they can get insurance through his new job.  She's a SAHM, they have two children, one is 5 and the other is 3 and she is now pregnant with number 3, they just found out around the same time her husband started his new jobz.  They make good money and they've called every independent insurance out there and no one will take my cousin because she is pregnant.  They've all told her that there is a 9 month waiting period.  What the heck?!?!

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojo_star
by Jojo on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Maybe there really is a waiting period, or did they say explicitly it's because she's pregnant? Has she tried to apply to medicaid?

jiffypop2207
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Try medical assistance?
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Pregnancy, for now, is a pre-existing condition and insurance companies are not required to cover them. They need to go back to the old employer and see if they can get her on Cobra. Not sure if there is a time limit on that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toopicky429
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Unfortunately there is a waiting period for private pay insurance to cover a pregnancy, and unless it's been changed no company other than Medicaid will cover a pregnancy if you weren't covered by them before the pregnancy.
Tea4Tas
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM

If it is within the time frame they can Cobra the old insurance. THEN when he gets his new insurance they will have continuous crediable coverage and the new company HAS to cover the pregnancy. This ONLY works if there is no gap in insurance longer than 63 days ( I htink that is the gap allowed.)

Tooth_Inspector
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM
I've been in that boat. 8 months pregnant with my third and my insurance company discontinued my individual policy and then couldn't accept me on any other policy due to my "pre existing condition" talk about STRESS! I'm still paying those bills!
CorCrox
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:46 PM
What state are you in? In CA, there is a program called Access for Infants and Mothers. You submit all of your income info, and they give you a monthly premium price to pay for health insurance while you're pregnant. It's specifically for women who don't qualify for medicaid, but for whatever reason didn't have health insurance because of the pre existing condition crap.
shoot4thestars
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Quoting jojo_star:

Maybe there really is a waiting period, or did they say explicitly it's because she's pregnant? Has she tried to apply to medicaid?

They specifically told there's a 9 month waiting period or pregnant women!?  She was trying really hard to get through to someone because as of March of this year, the hospital she wants to go and will take Medicaid stopped delivering babies, but now with Medicaid, she will have to go to the Women's Clinic around here and really doesn't want to do that.  I wouldn't either, I went there when I was younger and they're so nasty there, I hated it there!  They made me feel so uncomfortable and I wasn't even pregnant, I just went for a few gyno appointments before I couldn't stand it there any longer!

shoot4thestars
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Pregnancy, for now, is a pre-existing condition and insurance companies are not required to cover them. They need to go back to the old employer and see if they can get her on Cobra. Not sure if there is a time limit on that.

I'll have to tell her about that, I don't know if she knows she can do that.  She might, but I called her the other day after she was on the phone all day with insurances, so she was really stressing about it. 

shoot4thestars
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Quoting CorCrox:

What state are you in? In CA, there is a program called Access for Infants and Mothers. You submit all of your income info, and they give you a monthly premium price to pay for health insurance while you're pregnant. It's specifically for women who don't qualify for medicaid, but for whatever reason didn't have health insurance because of the pre existing condition crap.

She said she's probably going to have to do that.  We live in PA, btw.  But she tried really hard to find an insurance so she could go to the doctors that are actually in the hospital here.  With Medicaid, she'll have to go the Women's Clinic, which is pretty awful around here.  I went for a few gyno appointments a few years ago and I hated it there!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)