Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

k12 homeschooling program

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 3:22 PM
  • 8 Replies
Has any moms out there tried this program. Husband and I are looking into it for our 11 year old son. Any feedback would be appreciated
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 4:31 PM
I personally haven't, but one of my friends used it for 5 of her 6 kids and the older 2 graduated from it. The youngest just turned 3 so still too young.
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Why do you want to? Is your child an independent learner? My kids are all great students but they would not learn from a screen. They need an actual class.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I've heard good things about it. It is pretty strict about when you have to get online and how long you have to spend logged in and all of that. It is set up a lot like a regular public school with their curriculum.

If you want to homeschool, I personally liked having my own curriculum and letting them work at their own pace.

big.city.mama
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 4:41 PM
My son is in summer school now because the pace of a regular class was too fast for him. He is very much a child that doesn't like to much interaction with kids his own age so the summer school teacher told us to look into as a better option for him

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Why do you want to? Is your child an independent learner? My kids are all great students but they would not learn from a screen. They need an actual class.

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Are you concerned about socialization? I would keep my child in school to work on that and get an iep so he can work at his own pace.

Quoting big.city.mama:

My son is in summer school now because the pace of a regular class was too fast for him. He is very much a child that doesn't like to much interaction with kids his own age so the summer school teacher told us to look into as a better option for him

Quoting NDADanceMom:

AngelSinger
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

We're a homeschooling family. Personally, I never found the box sets of lessons to be either helpful or instructive...frankly, they take all the fun out of it in my opinion. For us, we purchased the "What Your Child Should Know in ____ Grade" books and worked from there. There are a ton of great free worksheet sites on the Internet, and textbooks are pretty easy to find at bookstores. We've also found CDROM games to be helpful (in our house, Mondays are computer days.) This approach is called "eclectic homeschooling." It doesn't work for everyone, but it has worked for us. Good luck!

Wanted to add: I have a special-needs child who can't be in a group setting, either. The worst mistake I ever made was to try to make her "socialized." It was a nightmare and she definitely wasn't learning anything except how to be utterly miserable. Homeschooling has been the best option for her. She does take classes at our local Parks & Rec, so there is no worry about her not being socialized...she's socialized in a way she can handle, for an hour or two at a time. Again, this is what has worked for us. Every family is different.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM

K12 is very expensive to use with homeschooling(abut $4K for elementary school, $5K for middle school and $6K for high school) . If you are looking at a "free" K12 program, then you are actually talking about public school at home. If looking at one of the public school options, the experience can vary greatly form one public charter school to another. IE in GA the teachers have a reputation for giving too much busy work. Also K12 is in legal trouble in a few states (GA and FL I know for certain). They also have a reputation for students scoring below grade level:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/13/education/online-schools-score-better-on-wall-street-than-in-classrooms.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-blog/2012/11/14/georgia-cyber-academy-is-virtual-charter-ignoring-real-problems-with-special-ed-services/  This is an AJC blog post/opinion piece but it links to several sources that I was looking for to cite.

RADmomma
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 3:31 PM
We homeschool but make our own curriculum.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN