Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Oh the thrills of summer!  Don't know where she got them from, but my 6 year old dd has lice.  I really don't want to go the chemical route.  

So, give me suggestions! 

by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
sahmw2010
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:47 PM
It doesn work anyways. Beleie me, know first hand from when i was a kid 3 treatments and STILL had them. Learned this trick from my friends mom. They were wiccans and very... Not sure the word... Natural? Did this, worked first time, never had an issue again. Plus makes hair silky soft

Quoting Maries_Mom23:

Thanks...yeah, I definitely want to avoid the chemical stuff.  

Quoting sahmw2010:

I NEVER buy the lice treatmensr. Saturate hair in baby oil, put shower cap on.. I normally do the "during the night" and wash in the morning. Never had to retreat. All eggs and lice cone out one shot. I then wash all bedding and vaccuum the hell out of the house.

dubolis
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Fingers crossed, but I've been lucky and have not dealt with lice so far.....but this worked for my sister and I when we were younger since it seemed we got lice about once a year. Make sure when you wash your daughters hair out to have her lean into the tub.....and rinse it out that way. Make sure you get around the ears since the bugs like to hang out there. Good luck! 

Quoting Maries_Mom23:

Never heard of using Dawn...makes sense though!  Thanks!  Yeah, I've been washing all afternoon/evening and vacuuming.  Ugh...

Quoting dubolis:

Use dawn dish soap.....it makes your hair squeaky clean (the bugs will wash right out!!!).....then the tedious work of going through and getting all of the lice eggs out....section of the head by section. (The baby combs that the hospitals give you when your baby is born works wonders.) Then wash/dry everything thoroughly and keep in white trash for a week.  Make sure you vacuum too. 

nikki666444
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Haha it is pretty gross.  My little sister and I used to pretend to do that to each other when we were young like we were monkeys lol

Quoting Maries_Mom23:

LOL...ewwww...

We took them to the zoo in May and the 6 year old watched so hard as a mama done that to her baby.  She asked what they were doing and DH said mama was picking bugs off of her baby.  She looked at us and said "BUT SHE"S EATING THEM!"  She had the most disgusted look on her face! :)

Quoting nikki666444:

Pick them out and eat them like a monkey

TheMrs407
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:51 PM
This. It's kind of like fleas...kind of. It's. A big ordeal. Good luck!

Quoting sarebear31976:

regardless of what you put in her hair, make sure you treat your house or she could get them again and again.  

ADHDmommyandson
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM

http://www.ehow.com/how_4962694_make-homemade-head-lice-treatment.html

http://pediatrics.answers.com/remedies/easy-homemade-remedies-for-eliminating-lice-problems

http://thekrazycouponlady.com/family/get-rid-of-it-fast-affordable-home-remedies-for-head-lice/

Small Amount 
2 tablespoons Tea Tree Oil 
6 ounces Dawn Dishwashing Liquid (Dawn ONLY) 
2 ounces white vinegar 

Medium Amount 
2 ounces Tea Tree Oil 
12.5 ounces Dawn Dishwashing Liquid (Dawn ONLY) 
4 ounces white vinegar 

Large Amount 
4 ounces Tea Tree Oil 
25 ounces Dawn Dishwashing Liquid (Dawn ONLY) 
8 ounces white vinegar 

Mix the three ingredients in a large squeeze bottle, such as an empty dish soap bottle. Use as regular shampoo, leave on for about 5 minutes before rinsing. Use conditioner to soften hair and keep dandruff down. Tea Tree Oil may cause some dandruff, but the bugs will be gone. May use every day, and bugs are usually gone within a week. Be VERY CAREFULL not to get in eyes or mouth. 

ADHDmommyandson
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:56 PM

you can also die the hair  but that's chemicals 

kidlover2
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:59 PM
We used olive oil and then wrapped it in Saran wrap and put a shower cap on. It went from foul to ok in 2 days. Oh! And I used a nit comb to get all the bugs and eggs off the oil soaked hair.
october2013
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:07 PM

well i say best os chemical but if you get a bottle of pink which is hair lotion and leave in over nite and comb through it is helpful

october2013
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:08 PM

careseen lamp oil helps but is dangerous for eyes

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:24 PM
While you are treating her for a week keep her hair in a tight ballerina bun with tons of hairspray. Stops the spread of it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)