Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Oh the thrills of summer!  Don't know where she got them from, but my 6 year old dd has lice.  I really don't want to go the chemical route.  

So, give me suggestions! 

by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Replies (21-30):
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Karosene oil?

Quoting october2013:

careseen lamp oil helps but is dangerous for eyes

Its.Me.Mama
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM

we use listerine... 2 hours with a shower cap then nit pick and pick and pick......

One thing most people dont know is that lice can not live off the human head for more then 24 hours... so when dd gets it she has had it several times now (years apart).. we move her to the guest room for a cpl days after Ive treated her, this makes cleaning her room less of a hassle..

delmae
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:44 PM

When my daughter was in elementry school she got lice a few times. They loved to be in her hair. They do "like" some people more than others. I never wanted to use chemicals but I did anyway. I used the Rid every day for a week and picked nits every night for the same week. If its bad the house should be treated too. Let me know if that information would be helpful to you. Good luck!

october2013
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:52 PM

yeah when i was young we used it older times desprate measures couldnt get rid of it and sorry spelling sucks

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Karosene oil?

Quoting october2013:

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM
several yrs ago locally a mother used kerosene on her daughter' s hair and the girl got set on fire because she was close to the pilot light on the stove. kerosene is not safe!!!

Quoting october2013:

aprill21
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:26 PM

omg...i use 2 have lice when i was 12...my mom cut me bald, it worked....try it....lol

Maries_Mom23
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I'm tempted!  LOL..

Seriously though...my oldest DD has had this one girls in her class for 3 years now.  I volunteered for one of their parties last year and I noticed she had a scarf on her head, to cover the hair starting to pop through her bald head.  It then hit me why she was bald.  

Quoting aprill21:

omg...i use 2 have lice when i was 12...my mom cut me bald, it worked....try it....lol

october2013
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:54 PM

well it is common sense dont stand by fire with it in your hair duhhh woooooooooooooow

Quoting calsmom62:

several yrs ago locally a mother used kerosene on her daughter' s hair and the girl got set on fire because she was close to the pilot light on the stove. kerosene is not safe!!!

Quoting october2013:

autiovisual
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:01 PM

People hate my views but guess what, contrary to popular belief washing your kids hair frequently during an outbreak may not be such a good idea. Lice are repulsed by greasy heads. Be sure to let teachers know you are deliberately letting hygeine slip in this department for that reason. Most people don't realise this, including teachers. It worked for me whenever I got notices from school. Be sure kids know not to share hats, combs etc. Preventative. Once infested I'd have smothered the creatures with a moisturising slathering of margerine on the weekend for a good part of the day before washing then applying medicated shampoo just to be extra sure. Wash all bedding and put pillows, other unwashables in hot dryer, or outside in cold weather. Pharmacies have treatments.  Talk to pharmacist for best advice.

Luckymommy1987
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Vaseline and a comb. That's it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)