Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Oh the thrills of summer!  Don't know where she got them from, but my 6 year old dd has lice.  I really don't want to go the chemical route.  

So, give me suggestions! 

by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Replies (31-40):
Seymoore
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Cetaphil the facial cleanser - if I remember correctly you leave on for 8-10 hours and then wash it out and comb out.  I think you have to repeat it a couple of times but it isn't harmful to your hair.  If you search for it on the internet you should find more complete directions on how to use it as a treatment.  

I tried to use it on myself (just so my daughter wouldn't be the only one) and I had a reaction to it...just itching...but could not leave it on my hair for the recommended time.

Good Luck!  And remember to comb out the next and the next, etc. 

cowgirls10181
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Coconut oil, or eggs, or mayo, or apple cider venigar (which also disolves the egg shells ) so ive read an dbeen told, or blow drying every day for 20-30 minutes on high, they die n heat
robbinsroost
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Robi Comb!!! It shocks the live lice. Then do lots of picking a couple times a day. This is what we do. No chemicals and no deep cleaning of the house. The only cleaning we do is to change bedding once the lice are found.
My girls have had lice twice in the last year.

anonym00se
by New Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I saturate the hair and scalp with a mixture of coconut oil and tea tree oil. I then saranwrap the head, and use the blow dryer on it. We leave it on over night.

We then wash it out and comb through the hair.

We also vaccuum and wash clothing. I don't do a major cleaning (like bagging stuffed animals). We've only gotten it twice. Once last summer and then again this summer. Both times DD got it at school.

I do know, that I will be keeping DD's hair up and putting tea tree oil in her hair (as well as spraying it with hairspray) when school starts. I guess last year, people got it and didn't know they had it, and so when they came back to school it spread like crazy. So I plan on "dirtying" up the hair and then checking once a week to make sure to catch it early.

afrocolombia
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:24 AM

This

Quoting Its.Me.Mama:

we use listerine... 2 hours with a shower cap then nit pick and pick and pick......

One thing most people dont know is that lice can not live off the human head for more then 24 hours... so when dd gets it she has had it several times now (years apart).. we move her to the guest room for a cpl days after Ive treated her, this makes cleaning her room less of a hassle..

and also serves to grow hair.

aprill21
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM

lol....sometimes it's impossible 2 get rid of them....my mom use 2 put gasoline in my hair....so.....off with it......hair grows back....if my daughter were 2 get it...trust me....i would cut it off and cover it. its a hasssel 2 pick 1 by 1 on those nasty things...kinda like getting rid of bedbugs!

its a girl

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Comb the hair and pick out the bugs/nits on a daily basis.

MusherMaggie
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Yes tree and rosemary oils mixed into the shampoo. Look up natural lice treatment, too.
NewMamaBoo
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:29 PM

A bag of mayo on her head all day... That's what my mom did 

Rubygl00m
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I just went through this with my daughter a couple weeks ago. I tried everything (shampoos, tea tree oil, picking though her hair numerous times a day. washing everything repeatedly, etc)  and could not get rid of them. I bought the Terminator Nit Free comb and they were gone the next day. It has been 2 weeks and no lice. This was my first and hopefully last time dealing with these nasty things. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)