Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Oh the thrills of summer!  Don't know where she got them from, but my 6 year old dd has lice.  I really don't want to go the chemical route.  

So, give me suggestions! 

by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Replies (41-48):
ocktoberfox
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:24 AM

tea tree oil shampoo repels them like crazy!

Momof3smoochies
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:28 AM
Pretty much everything what everyone else had said. Also try blow drying it or straighten it out cause lice die with heat.
melster4010
by New Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:06 AM

We used baby oil. supposedly it suffocates the lice. But don't use the combs they are worthless. I had to pick them out one by one using very small sections of hair. I checked two to three times a day until i didn't find any thing more and then once a day for a week just to make sure. good luck

Maries_Mom23
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I never thought of straightening it, thanks.  She hates the hair dryer, but loves it when mommy "fixes her hair" with my straightener!  :)

Quoting Momof3smoochies:

Pretty much everything what everyone else had said. Also try blow drying it or straighten it out cause lice die with heat.

bev126
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:25 PM

My dd had them bad so did i tired every thing her dr give us a print out that had a lot of home remdies on it the one that worked for us was Put  listorne I used the stor brand in a spray bottle get hair all wet cover live it for 2 hrs take cover off put vinegar for hr. then put coconut constner in hair and comb the dead bugs and eggs come out. then rinse. it worked on us haven;t had them back since

mistressflora
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:27 PM

my son got it from someone from school ( the doc says it has nothing to do with being dirty, they like clean hair, they actually say to keep them out dont wash your hair lol) and brought them home, the doc gave me this great script i dont remember the name but it worked wonders. bleaching also works..shaving all the hair off, the stuff i got from the store never worked

Harley Konstantinestork

pregnancy week by week

mistressflora
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:28 PM

YES this is a def bc if you dont they will just keep coming back, wash everything.

Quoting sarebear31976:

regardless of what you put in her hair, make sure you treat your house or she could get them again and again.  

Harley Konstantinestork

pregnancy week by week

littlecheifsmom
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Tea tree oil works great
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN