Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I have another question for you ladies...

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:30 PM
  • 171 Replies

My almost 8 year old is asking for his own phone. I don't know if it's a good idea or not. A friend of his just got one for er birthday and she's only a year older than him. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it. 

Question is, would you let your 8 year old have one? I do know I will be getting him his own laptop computer because I have worked WAYYY to hard and WAYYY too long on my book to let anything happen to it.  He's getting his laptop because he can do his own reports and some of his other work on it. 

by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:33 PM
22 moms liked this

I would not put him on a contract  plan.  I'd get him something like a trac phone.  Where he gets only so many minutes a month.  Make him earn minutes for his phone.  They'll learn to be responsible with the phone. Not racking up tons of calls.

ladyofnight
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I was thinking of doing that but i want to make sure he's ready ya know? 

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

I would not put him on a contract  plan.  I'd get him something like a trac phone.  Where he gets only so many minutes a month.  Make him earn minutes for his phone.  They'll learn to be responsible with the phone. Not racking up tons of calls.

pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 12:34 AM

These days. Heaven forbid would you find a pay phone if you needed it.  At the college I work at. They have one pay phone in the whole place that I know of.  I guess they assume everyone has a cell phone. Even at the mall there is only one pay phone.  For safety reasons I can see a kid having a phone. But not a ton of minutes or text messaging. 

bebe_ju-rah
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd get him a prepaid phone if he goes anywhere without family (besides school).
momto3boys85
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 6:51 AM
2 moms liked this

They do have those safety phones where they have like set names and numbers they can only call and text, my FIL told me about them when they first came out several years ago. They are like Pre-paid phones but more controlled for children. 

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:34 AM
9 moms liked this
My child had no need for one at 8. There was always an adult around that had a phone. My kids are not wandering around unsupervised in 2nd grade!
I do get my kids one in middle school because at that point they are in sports and their teams are traveling. I need to get ahold of them occasionally and i don't want to bother the coach.
T-HoneyLuv
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:42 AM
7 moms liked this
I agree. What the hell did we do before cell phones? Oh wait...we survived just fine.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

My child had no need for one at 8. There was always an adult around that had a phone. My kids are not wandering around unsupervised in 2nd grade!

I do get my kids one in middle school because at that point they are in sports and their teams are traveling. I need to get ahold of them occasionally and i don't want to bother the coach.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
housewifehell
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:17 AM
2 moms liked this
I would never give a child their own phone.
mommie2madison
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this
My dd had one at 8 that her father gave her against my better judgment. It was fine though. She was good with it & it came in handy but she would lose it, not charge it, etc. At 12 she just got her phone taken away for breaking rules so now she has nothing.

To me - looking back - I feel like my daughter having so much technology at her disposal has interfered with her just being a KID and led to her trying to grow up too quick. She had phone, laptop, ipod touch, etc - and now has nothing & isnt even allowed on internet for whole summer.
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:54 AM
2 moms liked this

Is there a reason he needs one?  Or does he just want one?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN