Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is this normal or is something going on???

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:13 AM
  • 15 Replies

We are having some issues with our 4 year old the past 2 weeks..  She has been potty trained since she was 2 and only has an occasional bed time accident, but these past 2 weeks have been a total mess.. Out of nowhere she has started peeing her pants again, a lot, atleast 4 times a day, and everytime she poops it will be in her pants and never the toilet.. At first we thought maybe she was too busy playng to remember to go, so we cut back on her outside play time, but last night at dinner time she was crying and mad because my husband made her sit down at the table and eat when she was trying to go to sleep on the couch, and out of the blue she just pisses all over herself and the kitchen chair..Then to top it all off today she climbed on our kitchen counter... She KNOWS its a big no no, and has never wanted to until today. Well my oldest yells down the hall "mom, Izzy is on the counter" (I was in the back getting the youngest 2 to take a nap) and as I walk down the hall I see her squat and piss ALL OVER my kitchen counter!! WTF!!! I just dont know what to do! Is something going on I am not seeing? Is she just acting out? There have been no big changes in our house besides last week we went on a 8 hour road trip to go camping, and the whole time we were there she peed and pooped in the porta potty with no issues, but the whole way back she wouldnt tell me she had to go, just peed all over her self and wouldnt tell me till I asked if anyone needed to pee... (I have a horrible bladder, so we stopped 1 to 2 times an hour while driving)..Anyone deal with this before??

Auctions for free stuff at Listia.com

by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GaBrIeLlEsMaMa
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:22 AM
1 mom liked this

but what about when she does it in the middle of the day and acts like its no big deal? I know she wasnt overly  tired when she peed on the counter today. She is a great sleeper, and if she is tired she will go to sleep, she wont try to make herself stay awake.. 

Quoting SissyAnn141:

This is usually normal.

Most children are not completely POTTY TRAINED untill 3 YEARS OLD.

If they are over-tired, they can not control, their Bladder.

BUY SOME "GOOD-NIGHTS". 

PLZ DO NOT PUNISH HER ♥♥♥♥

SissyAnn141
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Quoting GaBrIeLlEsMaMa:

We are having some issues with our 4 year old the past 2 weeks..  She has been potty trained since she was 2 and only has an occasional bed time accident, but these past 2 weeks have been a total mess.. Out of nowhere she has started peeing her pants again, a lot, atleast 4 times a day, and everytime she poops it will be in her pants and never the toilet.. At first we thought maybe she was too busy playng to remember to go, so we cut back on her outside play time, but last night at dinner time she was crying and mad because my husband made her sit down at the table and eat when she was trying to go to sleep on the couch, and out of the blue she just pisses all over herself and the kitchen chair..Then to top it all off today she climbed on our kitchen counter... She KNOWS its a big no no, and has never wanted to until today. Well my oldest yells down the hall "mom, Izzy is on the counter" (I was in the back getting the youngest 2 to take a nap) and as I walk down the hall I see her squat and piss ALL OVER my kitchen counter!! WTF!!! I just dont know what to do! Is something going on I am not seeing? Is she just acting out? There have been no big changes in our house besides last week we went on a 8 hour road trip to go camping, and the whole time we were there she peed and pooped in the porta potty with no issues, but the whole way back she wouldnt tell me she had to go, just peed all over her self and wouldnt tell me till I asked if anyone needed to pee... (I have a horrible bladder, so we stopped 1 to 2 times an hour while driving)..Anyone deal with this before??

She is upset, about something ?

Any changes in family ?

GaBrIeLlEsMaMa
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:32 AM

No changes.. no new babys, no new house, nothing.. only thing different is big sister (age 7) is on her summer break from school and they go outside to play a lot more.. She has always been a very sensetive child.. She crys very easy, like if my husband wants to talk to her, even if its about going to do something fun, she will start crying, or when she gets mad its SUPER hard to calm her down and get her to tell you whats wrong, she just screams and screams until she cant scream anymore, then acts like nothing just happened..

Quoting SissyAnn141:

Quoting GaBrIeLlEsMaMa:

Any changes in family ?

MockingJay
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:35 AM

It might just be that she is looking for power, and she gets it like this. See if giving her more control and power in more appropriate ways helps. Does she have jobs around the house? Things that make her feel older, valued and important?

I would have her clean up the mess, and really say nothing about it otherwise, as that will feed the misguided control she is getting from it. Seriously, I would hand her a rag, tell he she needs to clean up, and walk away until it is done (as best she can for 4). Then, when she is done, go and sanitize. Afterwards I might say something like "I am noticing you are having trouble making it to the toilet. Is everything okay?"

If this does not help, simply asking her might give some insight. 

SissyAnn141
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Quoting MockingJay:

It might just be that she is looking for power, and she gets it like this. See if giving her more control and power in more appropriate ways helps. Does she have jobs around the house? Things that make her feel older, valued and important?

I would have her clean up the mess, and really say nothing about it otherwise, as that will feed the misguided control she is getting from it. Seriously, I would hand her a rag, tell he she needs to clean up, and walk away until it is done (as best she can for 4). Then, when she is done, go and sanitize. Afterwards I might say something like "I am noticing you are having trouble making it to the toilet. Is everything okay?"

If this does not help, simply asking her might give some insight. 

I DO AGREE, Give her some power over something .

A job, chore, or helping you ?

Just try this,..... And see if it helps  ?

ReeseStrickland
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 4:03 AM
I have 3 daughters who have all gone through a regressive phase. I put then briefly back in pull ups at night and just didn't make much of it in the day, and it passed. Not very helpful, but don't let yourself worry too much, if you are upset and anxious or angry over it you will make worse, even if you think you're hiding it.
darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

It could be a behavior stage, but it could by signs of a medical condition.  Diabetes in particular has symptoms of in continence and extra sleepy.  I would take her to the doctor just to be sure. 

xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Quoting darcibeisheim:

It could be a behavior stage, but it could by signs of a medical condition.  Diabetes in particular has symptoms of in continence and extra sleepy.  I would take her to the doctor just to be sure. 

UTIs too. They make you feel like you have to pee until you DO have to pee, and then finally you might feel okay - but as soon as you go the discomfort is back. It can lead kids to have accidents because they hold it to avoid the discomfort and/or because their body is sending them mixed signals.

jconney80
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:39 PM

It sounds like she might be on the autism spectrum. This is a common thing with kiddos like that (to pee random places) and combined with her emotional difficulties (those are also common with kids on the spectrum). I'd take her to a developmental pediatrician and have her screened and evaluated.

Quoting GaBrIeLlEsMaMa:

No changes.. no new babys, no new house, nothing.. only thing different is big sister (age 7) is on her summer break from school and they go outside to play a lot more.. She has always been a very sensetive child.. She crys very easy, like if my husband wants to talk to her, even if its about going to do something fun, she will start crying, or when she gets mad its SUPER hard to calm her down and get her to tell you whats wrong, she just screams and screams until she cant scream anymore, then acts like nothing just happened..

Quoting SissyAnn141:

Quoting GaBrIeLlEsMaMa:

Any changes in family ?

ChrysAsh
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Is there any possibility of any type of trauma she could have gone through? When I was young, I acted out in the same manner (A bit worse though) due to severe emotional trauma. Maybe you should seek professional help with it if you're unable to get her to stop. But either way, THIS IS NOT NORMAL. It is normal for accidents, but not to constantly potty on herself.

Is she in preschool? I know it isnt something parents want to think about, but preschools and daycares are some of the least safe places and something could have happened in school to traumatize her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)