Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

can my kids father relinquish his rights?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM
  • 8 Replies
To make a long story short the kids dad lives in California I live in Kansas can their dad give up his rights thru the court with out my consent? what's the process on all this and Lord help me what do I do as a mom ??
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I would contact a family law lawyer  in your area to find out the answers to this.  As a mom you continue to be there for the children and become used to being their sole parent legally.

IamMex11
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Why do you ask? Is he saying he wants to give up his rights?

xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:43 PM
I've always heard unless there is a man willing to adopt them they won't cut paternity even if that's what both parents want.
aguinn06
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Yes he sent me a message via Facebook that said word for word he wants to relinquish his parental rights and I will always continue to be their parent but do.I sign do.I not... I'm never conflicted
kidlover2
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM
This. In my state there has to be a man who is willing to adopt the children before the biological father can relinquish his rights

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

I've always heard unless there is a man willing to adopt them they won't cut paternity even if that's what both parents want.
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:49 PM

If he wants to give up his rights, he needs to go through the court in which custody was established.  You should be notified of the hearing and be able to speak at it.

aguinn06
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:16 PM
He has no reason outside of not wanting to pay child support and even that's only 85 a week for three kids just think its b.s
Katt709
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Nope. He can't. The only way he can sever ties with them is if the system terminates his parental rights or he can sign them away if someone is there to adopt them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)