Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Where do we begin with dance??

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM
  • 10 Replies
I know ive.seen moms who have older kids in dance that started young in here. Help please!

My almost 4 yr old wants to start dance...where do I start? What do I start? Some places look like its just for fun, some have competitions they go to...whats the difference?! Im lost.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melster4010
by New Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:24 AM

start with something simple, maybe just a ballet class or something once a week. Competition is just that, they compete against other dance companies for trophies and high scores etc. It is also expensive. Start with fun until she knows if she enjoys it and wants to work at it, then look into competition farther down the road.

MusherMaggie
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Our community center used to have children's dance classes that were just for fun. Your local library or chamber of commerce might have information also.
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM
I would start in a studio that actually teaches technique. Cecchetti (pronounced shacketti if you make calls) is the best ballet method for kids. Rec programs do more harm than good if you are aiming for elite dance.
My daughter started dance at 2 and joined a pre-comp team in 2nd grade. 2 years later she was full comp. she is 11 now and competes on a national level. She has competed against a couple girls on dance moms and a couple that are already picked for New York on America's got talent.
To get to that level you can't waste time in rec programs. Find a large studio with a competitive program and start there. There is a cost to dance at this level though. I spend more than $5000 a year on dance for one child.
CheyennesMommy2
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:36 PM
You are who I was looking for! Yea see I want her to actually do something with it. The studios around here dont seem to have much for her age. Im going to call around some more towmorrow. She loves dance, she likes watching agt and dance moms to see the girls dance.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I would start in a studio that actually teaches technique. Cecchetti (pronounced shacketti if you make calls) is the best ballet method for kids. Rec programs do more harm than good if you are aiming for elite dance.

My daughter started dance at 2 and joined a pre-comp team in 2nd grade. 2 years later she was full comp. she is 11 now and competes on a national level. She has competed against a couple girls on dance moms and a couple that are already picked for New York on America's got talent.

To get to that level you can't waste time in rec programs. Find a large studio with a competitive program and start there. There is a cost to dance at this level though. I spend more than $5000 a year on dance for one child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JigglyWigglyPud
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:40 PM
My dd is 4 and is on the company team (that's what they call it for competitive dancers). However, she's going to have to start out just taking a class once or twice a week.
They will pull her on company when she is ready.

It seems all confusing at first, but it's really not. They usually run in sessions of 12-14 weeks one class a week for about an hour.
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Some of the larger schools cluster dance so you only have to go to dance once or twice a week to start. That way if you travel to a good school you aren't going every night.
This is the time of year that auditions and intensives are going on. If they have a mini team (pre school) that does auditions I'd go to that. You can see what she will need to know to compete. Intensives are a week long workshop that trains kids for the audition. I've paid between $100 and $400 for the audition. (They hire outside judges to avoid bias)
Ballet is the core of all dance. No matter what she does ballet should be a big part of it.

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

You are who I was looking for! Yea see I want her to actually do something with it. The studios around here dont seem to have much for her age. Im going to call around some more towmorrow. She loves dance, she likes watching agt and dance moms to see the girls dance.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Op, this is not typical. Company is usually the elite line. 11 is really the youngest you would ever see on it, usually its all teens.
Also you sign a year long contact when you compete, for obvious reasons. They start learning the dance in September and compete from march to July. You can't lose kids that are in the choreography every 12 weeks!
12 week sessions are only for recreational with no recital participation.
Once you start in September you need to finish it up!

Quoting JigglyWigglyPud:

My dd is 4 and is on the company team (that's what they call it for competitive dancers). However, she's going to have to start out just taking a class once or twice a week.

It seems all confusing at first, but it's really not. They usually run in sessions of 12-14 weeks one class a week for about an hour.
JigglyWigglyPud
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Thats what I was saying is she needs to start off in a "rec" class. They aren't just going to put her on company having never danced before.

Our minis competed at nationals this year and start practicing in aug and start competing April-July. It's pricey, but well worth it.

The regular classes any dance studio is going to offer (consider it rec) are going to go in 12-14 week sessions. The main 3 being fall, winter, and spring ending with a recital.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Op, this is not typical. Company is usually the elite line. 11 is really the youngest you would ever see on it, usually its all teens.

Also you sign a year long contact when you compete, for obvious reasons. They start learning the dance in September and compete from march to July. You can't lose kids that are in the choreography every 12 weeks!

12 week sessions are only for recreational with no recital participation.

Once you start in September you need to finish it up!

Quoting JigglyWigglyPud:

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Our school is for fun, they're not competitive. DD started with a pre-balle class. Since then she's done tap, jazz and hip hop which she's doing again this year. She loves it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatnNatsMomma
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:48 PM
My daughter has been dancing since she was 3 1/2 (she'll be 12 next month) and I would recommend starting with a Pre-Ballet or "Creative Rhythm and Movement" class just to get her acquainted with her musicality and the basics of dance. Then, ballet. It's the BEST foundation for any dance career. My daughter has done most every type of dance since, tap, jazz, character...etc (all except hip-hop). She LOVES it. My only recommendation is to try and look for studios that teach the ABT method of dance, becauce the Ceccheti (sp?) method is a dying art form and ended up being a waste of her time. She had to re-learn a whole new method from scratch at age 9 and ABT is much more universal method of ballet (danced in NYC at Julliard at the SAB and of course, the ABT). It is much more recognized, will take your little dancer farther, if she ends up wanting to make ballet a career someday (like mine does). Anyway, hope this helps. Above all, have fun with it :) Watching them enjoy dancing is the BEST part!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN