Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is my 2 year old son retaliating?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:09 AM
  • 19 Replies
Hi. I am new on here and I have a question that I was really wanting to be answered. Well my son is 2 and he was always getting picked on for no reason by his 3 year old cousin in law. If that is even a word. It is my fiances nephew. And now my son is fighting back and sometimes he will hurt him for no reason. What can I do about it? And did he learn it from his cousin in law?
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:14 AM

You need to talk with the future aunts/uncles about the cousin being mean towards your son.  At 2 yrs old, i would keep them separated and well supervised as much as possible.

peacerockermom
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:18 AM
But why separated? Shouldnt they learn to share and learn to be nice when around each other? The child use to walk up to him and bug him or hurt him and my son was the victim but now its vice versa.
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:29 AM
2 moms liked this

retaliation is with in the realm of a toddler... my daughter was about 16 months old and this little boy was constantly being mean to her... her daddy told her to stick up for herself so the next time he walked in the room she kicked him before he could even say hi. he probably doesn't understand the difference between defending himself and being mean

peacerockermom
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:35 AM
So that could be him defending himself by hurting him for no reason or just being mean?
peacerockermom
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:39 AM
Or maybe my son hurts the other child before he hurts him?
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Quoting peacerockermom:

So that could be him defending himself by hurting him for no reason or just being mean?

meaning he may not understand that there is a difference... that if he hurts the other boy first he is being mean... but if his cousin hurts him first and he sticks up for himself it's self defense... you might need to have a talk with him about it. at 2 it may take a few talks and even some time outs for him to understand there is a difference, it's a big concept for a little guy.

peacerockermom
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:10 AM
ok got it. Thank you. :)
So did he learn it from his cousin in law then?
peacerockermom
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:11 AM
Thank you very much. It definitely helps to have others opinions.
jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this
He probably learned it from the cousin so now he is doing it back. Both need to be disciplined when they lash out. That is the only way it will stop. Both need to learn its boy ok. Also teach them words to use instead, I'm mad, stop, don't, etc
yorkiemaz
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Good that he defending himself. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)