Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did she do the right thing?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM
  • 7 Replies

You are here: Jobs > News & Advice > Daycare Teacher Fired After Extinguishing Fire At Center

Daycare Teacher Fired After Extinguishing Fire At Center

Florida teacher gets fired after putting out a fire at school.The most important task of a daycare center worker is to keep the children safe. So when Michelle Hammack, (right) a teacher at the Little Temples Childcare facility in Arlington, Fla., smelled smoke and the children were napping, she rushed out of her classroom to investigate. (Arlington is a neighborhood of Jacksonville.)

Seeing that chicken nuggets were burning in an oven, she was able to put out the fire before even the fire trucks arrived on the scene, according to a report by WTEV-TV in Jacksonville. Her boss, however, wasn't impressed. On that same day, the owner of the childcare facility Olga Rozhaov fired Hammack.

Rozhakov defended her decision to the media. "I fired her only because she left her room," she told the TV station. "It's not acceptable, and if anybody else does the same thing, I will fire again. I will fire them. No question."

Hammack, for her part, is taking credit for keeping the kids safe. The fire "probably would have progressed had it not been put out before [the fire trucks arrived]," she told WTEV-TV. She was also able to march her students out of the building to safety. And so, she says, she's being mistreated. "I didn't start the fire. I put it out." She's protested her firing outside the school. Parents have yet to make a comment to the media about her story.

To the Daily Caller, the right-leaning Washington D.C.-based news site, the firing of Hammack was misguided. In fact, the website said the decision to terminate her is proof that "America is clearly wheezing its last ethical gasps."

In response to the WTEV report, the local Department of Children and Families has opened an investigation into the incident.

No matter how her case is resolved, Hammack works in an industry -- child care -- that offers low pay despite the high responsibilities that come with the work. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, child-care workers make an average wage of $9.28 an hour. Daycare workers in a handful of states, however, have begun forming unions to bargain for higher reimbursements from state governments. And childcare remains a growing sector as dual-income couples and single-parent households look for help.

Correction: An earlier version of this post referred to Arlington as located outside of Jacksonville.

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
dlock25
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM

bump

dlock25
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM
She shouldn't have been fired. Maybe reprimanded for leaving a room full of you g kids unattended but not fired. She saved that center from a bad fire. It could have so much worse.
dlock25
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:47 PM
This is what I'm thinking. She could have waken all the children and moved them outside before going to check but the fire could have been worse by then. She went assessed the situation and reacted accordingly.

Quoting jobberwocky:

She shouldn't have been fired. Maybe reprimanded for leaving a room full of you g kids unattended but not fired. She saved that center from a bad fire. It could have so much worse.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoseWay
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:18 PM
She can't leave children unattended outside. If one of them runs inside because they forgot their teddy then she would have been in bigger trouble. She did the right thing. If shes alone with the children she had no other choice.

If you had two kids and one of them fell down the stairs. Wouldn't you leave the one child to check upon the one that fell down the stairs? You only have two arms and sometimes you have to make a choice.

Quoting dlock25:

This is what I'm thinking. She could have waken all the children and moved them outside before going to check but the fire could have been worse by then. She went assessed the situation and reacted accordingly.

Quoting jobberwocky:

Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Better than waking up and panicking a room full of children and letting the fire escalate. Can't leave them outside. She did the right thing and if I were one of those parents, I'd be grateful to her.
jconney80
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:06 PM

That is really insane. I would think the owner would be happy the place didn't burn down

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)