Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

IS YOUR DH A "HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR"?

Posted by   + Show Post

MY HUBBY IS GOING TO SCHOOL TO TRAIN FOR THIS ANF I WANTED TO GOOGLE AND FIND INFORMATION THAT MIGHT CAN HELP. THANKS FOR READING.

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Replies (31-40):
reesesami
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:11 AM
It's pretty hard work outside in the heat, which is the main reason he hates it. We live in California.

Quoting mami286:

what makes him hate it? what state is your family in?

Quoting reesesami:

My DH was a heavy equipment operator until the economy tanked and he was laid off. He's been trying to get another heavy equipment operator job for three years now with no luck.

He hates the job but it pays well and we could really use that kind of income again.

KellyNips
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:39 AM

my DH is a heavy equipment operator -- works for a highway department.  loves his job very much -- i think it's the idea of boys, no matter what age, still like to play with their Tonka trucks.  tell your hubby he will do just fine and will find it a rewarding career.

cindim1963
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who is a heavy equipment operator.  Sorry I can't help.

MDJennyJen
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM
DH is in the operating engineers union, he started with them a couple of years ago without any real previous experience (although he did have his CDLs) everything he knows has been learned on the job with hands on experience. He LOVES his job. He is out of state most of the time but it works for us, plus the pay is really good.
mami286
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM

lol i thought the samething :) these men are getting paid to play lol just kidding. im glad your hubby is enjoying himself  and i appreciate the feedback.

Quoting KellyNips:

my DH is a heavy equipment operator -- works for a highway department.  loves his job very much -- i think it's the idea of boys, no matter what age, still like to play with their Tonka trucks.  tell your hubby he will do just fine and will find it a rewarding career.

mami286
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:27 AM

yea, thats the main focus "hands on". i wanted to let my hubby get other mens point of view of the field and just get a little feedback.  i appreciate the help, thanks :)

Quoting MDJennyJen:

DH is in the operating engineers union, he started with them a couple of years ago without any real previous experience (although he did have his CDLs) everything he knows has been learned on the job with hands on experience. He LOVES his job. He is out of state most of the time but it works for us, plus the pay is really good.

mami286
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

its ok, thanks for reading my post anyway :)

Quoting cindim1963:

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who is a heavy equipment operator.  Sorry I can't help.

mami286
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

yea, its been pretty warm lately but this week hasnt been too bad. what part of california is your family in?  do your dh look for work all over or just locally? any agencies?

Quoting reesesami:

It's pretty hard work outside in the heat, which is the main reason he hates it. We live in California.

Quoting mami286:

Quoting reesesami:

My DH was a heavy equipment operator until the economy tanked and he was laid off. He's been trying to get another heavy equipment operator job for three years now with no luck.

He hates the job but it pays well and we could really use that kind of income again.

mami286
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM

after training did he have any problems findig work in your state? how long has he been operating now?

Quoting MissMixologist:

yes, my husband can operate every piece of heavy equipment used on a mine site.  He has been trained and signed off on everything :)

reesesami
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Southern California, San Diego specifically. He has not looked all over. A lot of the jobs his company used to take involved him traveling a bit, like he'd have to drive an hour or two out to the desert or go up to the L.A. area. When he worked local the weather wasn't too bad but it still gets hot doing the job, even in SD.

Quoting mami286:

yea, its been pretty warm lately but this week hasnt been too bad. what part of california is your family in?  do your dh look for work all over or just locally? any agencies?

Quoting reesesami:

Quoting mami286:

Quoting reesesami:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)