Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I recently had a baby, November '12 and due to a few complications I had to have an emergency c section. I'm currently pregnant again (oops..) and my dr said I could do a VBAC but the chance of me and baby dying are 60% higher and if I do VBAC there isn't an option of c section if I have complications again.

What I'm wondering is how true that is?
And mom that have had two c sections...is healing more painful, and worse the second time around??
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
RADmomma
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:10 PM
The recovery from my vbac was amazing compared to my csection. Even with tearing & stitches.

I was up moving around & not in any pain by the time I went home!!
redress
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:11 PM
I had a c and then a vbac. The vbac I think, saved my body, mind, spirit bc I was quite traumatised from the cutting, slicing, stitching and meds from my c section.
Were ur first prg complications due to structural defects?
As you know all pregnancies are unique events, and one does not hv any bearing on subsequent births.
So, your % probability of dying is being calculated based on what?
Two, you must ask yr ob what he meant by not doing a c after trial of labour. Excuse me, but that is complete bullshit. Is he saying that he has never done as emergency c section after trial of labor.
Your doctor sounds like self interest (ie being able to schedule his time at his convenience for your birth) has been placed ahead of the safety of you and you'd child.
Vaginal birth is the safest way to birth a baby. C section is major major major abdominal surgery. It also sends your body into shock as the normal process of delivery does not occur, instead it is like an abortion.
You need a doctor who is brilliant enough to do what is safest for you and your child. Without adequate information regarding ur situation, I would hazard to say that full on support for a vbac w the c section as a back up would be the best plan forward.
Unfortunately ur current ob sounds like without a doubt, he will wheel you into the OT for an RCS.
Hoping for the best outcome for you and baby. Please get 3 more opinions. You hv time on your side, and this is a major decision you are making.
Bag delivery is a million billion times better than that ghastly butchering they do.
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:22 PM
There is a higher risk to a VBAC than a natural delivery without having had a c-section but it isn't normally that high.... Though they like for there to be at least 2 years between the section and the vbac ... So that maybe pushing your numbers up. I think something's not right though with him telling you no c-section option if the vbac is not going well. I would ask for clarification on that and if its really what he meant I'd push for a second opinion
Ktina11
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I had 4 c sections, 2 while under general anethesia/ 2 while awake.....by far my easiest one was #3 (#4 was under general so I was more sluggish with recovery). I was too scared to do a VBAC after losing our first baby due to a birthing complication. Scheduled sections for #2 & #3 were much better recoveries even with them being 11 months apart. :)

Quoting angiev123:

So, all of you that had 2 sections in a row, it was easier for you to heal the second time? I know it probably sounds selfish, but I'm just scared of the recovery being harder. Because I remember it being pretty bad the first time. But then again I was in labor for 36 hours before I got one. My dr is pretty strict, and he's the best in the area I'm in. I called another dr to get a second opinion but he never got back to me.

All I'm really worried about is what's safest for the baby, and the recovery time for me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirstensmommie
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM
My sister had a csection with her first and went on to have a VBAC with her 2nd and 3rd
angiev123
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM
I'm not entirely sure how having a c section is comparable to an abortion...and I didn't make this post for people to call the dr an idiot, or what have you. Not to argue but he's actually top 1 of 2 obgyns in my area. I just wanted opinions. Being able to have a VBAC depends on if 1) it's allowed by the hospital, because it CAN (not always) be a bigger risk than it should be 2) your dr is comfortable doing it and such. I know a c section is major surgery, but it's not as bad as you're making it sound. Yes, I did have complications that led to me needing an emergency section.

Like I've stated many times, I just wanted opinions. I am still more than open to your opinions and stories about multiple c sections.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:01 PM
I have had 3 CS and each one i healed faster. I honestly think if what doc says is true, go eith a CS. UNLESS he is saying that to scare u. I know docs hate doing Vbacs. So, what was the issues for the first? Mine was because she was breeched and caught too late. I dont know why they wouldnt do a Cs if complications arose during delivery. Wouldnt it be the same as a normal vaginal and complication arose so they do an emergency CS? Anyways sorry i got rambling. I healed faster with each CS
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Just ignore the ignorance of people when it comes to Cs. YEs its a major surgery, but the ignorance of how awful it is pisses me off. If it werent for CS, some of us would actually die. I dont see how a CS is a bad thing

Quoting angiev123:

I'm not entirely sure how having a c section is comparable to an abortion...and I didn't make this post for people to call the dr an idiot, or what have you. Not to argue but he's actually top 1 of 2 obgyns in my area. I just wanted opinions. Being able to have a VBAC depends on if 1) it's allowed by the hospital, because it CAN (not always) be a bigger risk than it should be 2) your dr is comfortable doing it and such. I know a c section is major surgery, but it's not as bad as you're making it sound. Yes, I did have complications that led to me needing an emergency section.

Like I've stated many times, I just wanted opinions. I am still more than open to your opinions and stories about multiple c sections.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I know that the doctors in my area are not very willing to try VBAC because of the increased risk to the mother and the baby.  My first son was an emergency c section.  His heartrate kept dropping during contractions.   I chose a c secton for my second son because I knew what to expect.  I do not think the healing time or pain was any different.

mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Quoting angiev123:

So, all of you that had 2 sections in a row, it was easier for you to heal the second time? I know it probably sounds selfish, but I'm just scared of the recovery being harder. Because I remember it being pretty bad the first time. But then again I was in labor for 36 hours before I got one. My dr is pretty strict, and he's the best in the area I'm in. I called another dr to get a second opinion but he never got back to me.

All I'm really worried about is what's safest for the baby, and the recovery time for me.

I responded before you posted this query..

My first was horrible as I was recovering from a uterine infection caused by our dd's body beginning to decompose as she died in utero. It took me about a year to fully recover medically. 

My second was a breeze in comparison. I did have high blood pressure so I was unable to see my dd for 2 days, but once the compression sleeves came off, I was up and walking around. I was fully mobile within another day and by the end of the week, I was in no pain at all and running around taking care of my oldest dd ( adopted) and going to the hospital to see our youngest in NICU. I was completely fine within about 4 days. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)