Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I recently had a baby, November '12 and due to a few complications I had to have an emergency c section. I'm currently pregnant again (oops..) and my dr said I could do a VBAC but the chance of me and baby dying are 60% higher and if I do VBAC there isn't an option of c section if I have complications again.

What I'm wondering is how true that is?
And mom that have had two c sections...is healing more painful, and worse the second time around??
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Replies (21-30):
tyrelsmom
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I had my first by c-section. I was planning a VBAC with my second but due to complications ended up having a c-section again. I found the recovery harder... But that was due to a reaction to the anesthetic.

I had my third and fourth naturally, and plan to have my fifth naturally as well.

With a c-section you at least triple your chances of dying. The more c-sections you have, the more dangerous it gets. It's major surgery, and it is not safe. I almost lost a sister to a c-section. A woman from my church recently spent 3 weeks in hospital after her 2nd c-section fighting for her life.

I think what you need is a different doctor, because it sounds like the one you have is most concerned with his pocketbook. You need one that at least considers VBAC an equal choice to repeat c-section. Preferably one that encourages it. The ones who lie to get you to think c-section is better but say you can have a VBAC if you REALLY want to WILL sabotage you at the last minute.
tyrelsmom
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:48 PM
The effect on your body is comparable to an abortion. That's what she meant by that.

And your doctor is lying.... So....

Quoting angiev123:

I'm not entirely sure how having a c section is comparable to an abortion...and I didn't make this post for people to call the dr an idiot, or what have you. Not to argue but he's actually top 1 of 2 obgyns in my area. I just wanted opinions. Being able to have a VBAC depends on if 1) it's allowed by the hospital, because it CAN (not always) be a bigger risk than it should be 2) your dr is comfortable doing it and such. I know a c section is major surgery, but it's not as bad as you're making it sound. Yes, I did have complications that led to me needing an emergency section.

Like I've stated many times, I just wanted opinions. I am still more than open to your opinions and stories about multiple c sections.

LTryon
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I had a c-section and 2 VBACs. I know that they say you should wait at least a year between pregnancies if you've had a c-section, because it will give your previous incision ample time to heal. Maybe with the babies being so close together they're worried about uterine rupture?

kurmom
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM
I am planning on having a vbac, and before I even approached my doc I did a lot of research. There is not a 60% higher chance of you or baby dying? I have never heard that. The main risk is that that your uterus may rupture. And there is a 1% chance of that happening. It may be higher since you recently had a caection, but I doubt it. If your uterus does rupture, they need to get baby out immediently. At that point it becomes a life or death situation. I was told by my doc that that 70% of women who attempt a vbac succeed. I could never choose another caection, it was horrible for me :(
OCALAMOMOFTWINS
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I have never had a vaginal birth, I had a very large fibroid removed the year before I got pregnant. I never had the choice, I knew I would be having a C-section. They are basically the same operation, I did not have any more problems with the second operation than I had with the first. I handled both very well, was out walking dogs the day I got home.

elitish
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:56 AM
Your doctor is an idiot. I'm amazed he delivered your baby okay.
elitish
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:58 AM
There is zero increased risk. They need to educate themselves. Even ACOG has publicly stated this.

Quoting ScrChk23:

I know that the doctors in my area are not very willing to try VBAC because of the increased risk to the mother and the baby.  My first son was an emergency c section.  His heartrate kept dropping during contractions.   I chose a c secton for my second son because I knew what to expect.  I do not think the healing time or pain was any different.

Mazou80
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I had one c-section and healed amazingly fast. By the time i went home i was happily walking around-even attended a wedding 6days after labor!! My skin has healed perfectly as well. Comparing c-section to abortion is PATHETIC!!!people are so ignorant. C-secton worked perfectly for me. Ignore stupid comments

Quoting sahmw2010:

Just ignore the ignorance of people when it comes to Cs. YEs its a major surgery, but the ignorance of how awful it is pisses me off. If it werent for CS, some of us would actually die. I dont see how a CS is a bad thing

Quoting angiev123:

I'm not entirely sure how having a c section is comparable to an abortion...and I didn't make this post for people to call the dr an idiot, or what have you. Not to argue but he's actually top 1 of 2 obgyns in my area. I just wanted opinions. Being able to have a VBAC depends on if 1) it's allowed by the hospital, because it CAN (not always) be a bigger risk than it should be 2) your dr is comfortable doing it and such. I know a c section is major surgery, but it's not as bad as you're making it sound. Yes, I did have complications that led to me needing an emergency section.

Like I've stated many times, I just wanted opinions. I am still more than open to your opinions and stories about multiple c sections.

6missy
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM

in my state the ob drs don't allow vbacs once you had a c section, I had tow natural births no c section 

angiev123
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM
My child was delivered perfect. If it wasn't for my extremely intelligent doctor not only would I have lost my life but my son wouldn't be here.

I would appreciate if the negative comments concerning my doctors intelligence or anything like that we're kept to yourself.

---everyone else, thank you!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN