Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I was wondering if I could get some advice on potty training. My son just turned 2 yesterday and I am wanting to start on potty training him. Thank you so much in advance.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Replies (11-16):
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Same way you potty train a girl.  Except boys can pee outside like dad.

krazymom2boyz
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with the others, warrior until he shows you he is ready. Otherwise, you are setting yourself up for frustration and ultimately failure. To help entice him you can put Cheerios or goldfish in the toilet and tell him he gets to "shoot"then when he uses the potty like a big boy. It also helps teach him to aim. Good luck!
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:04 PM
frootloops as targets. try and sink them. buy character briefs and he can wear them as he long as he stays dry. frankly i didnt bother training mine until they started staying dry at night ( of course you had to get them on the potty really quick after waking up ). i just found i had better success rates that way. all of my boys were trained btw 2 and 3 yrs. dd was the fastest. at 18 mos
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM

We let my son run around in the backyard.. potty trained in 2 days n haven't had no accidents nor night wetting he's now 6. :)

amylovesnick07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Thank you so much ladies for the advice. I appreciate it soooo much!!!!! :)
GaleJ
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:05 AM

I guess, judging from what I've read here and on other CM posts, that my husband and I were just weird in how we addressed toileting with our son. We didn't have him run around naked and we didn't buy underwear and we didn't buy any kind of potty seat nor did we rush him. We simply had an "open door" policy for my husband and I using the toilet and waited for our son to tell us that he wanted to emulate us. Then we simply got a stool for him to be able to get on the toilet and in a week or so he's mastered toileting, we then got him appropriate underwear, and after that, other than because of illness, we never had an accident. This was the summer before he was three and right before he moved from the toddler class at school to primary and I think he realized from visiting his new class that none of the other children wore diapers which may have supplied the motivation.

By the way we taught him to always sit in someone's home and only stand where there was a urinal at an appropriate height. That way there wasn't an issue with the problem of "questionable" aim.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN