Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

All because some mom's won't vaccinate...

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you agree that this is the reason that the measles are back or do you think there is more to it?

From Prince Edward Island to British Columbia, doctors across Canada are grappling with a highly infectious disease the likes of which they’ve never seen before: measles.

Measles was supposedly stamped out years ago, along with whooping cough, polio and other nasty maladies. But now it’s made a comeback, thanks to people who don’t believe in vaccinations. France, northern England and Wales have all been hit with serious measles outbreaks. Wales alone has had 1,200 cases since November of last year, mostly among children and adolescents under 18. Dozens more cases have appeared in pockets of the United States.

Canada has recorded about 30 cases in 2013, including eight in B.C. since June. “It’s been three years since we have seen measles in B.C.,” Dr. Paul Martiquet of the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority told Canadian Press.

The modern anti-vaccination scare began in the late 1990s, when a British physician named Andrew Wakefield began warning people that the MMR vaccine (measles, mumps and rubella) causes autism in children. Medical experts refuted his claims, but parents panicked. Vaccination rates in Britain sank from 92 per cent to 73 per cent. Dr. Wakefield’s research has since been widely condemned as a giant fraud, and many of the current crop of measles victims were never vaccinated because of him.

In Canada, the good news is that the new infections have been imported from elsewhere, either from infected people who travelled to Canada and passed it along, or from Canadians who were infected abroad. The bad news is that Canada’s vaccination rate is just 85 per cent – lower than it should be to confer population immunity. Our worst recent outbreak occurred in 2011, when 725 people came down with it in Quebec.

Even though Dr. Wakefield was thoroughly disgraced, anti-vaxxers aren’t hard to find. Plenty of chiropractors, homeopaths and other practitioners of “natural” medicine believe vaccines are unnecessary or dangerous. Activist-actress Jenny McCarthy (the new girl on The View) has been waging a high-profile war on childhood vaccines for years. Robert F. Kennedy Jr., the environmental activist, is another anti-vax crackpot. He’s claimed that we’re poisoning our children with thimerosal, a preservative in vaccines, and that a vast conspiracy of government agencies has covered up the truth.

Some anti-vaxxers belong to fringe religious groups. But some are highly educated, hyper-vigilant, holistically minded parents who believe the environment is full of toxic substances that are potential threats to their children. Some think the medical establishment has no right to tell them what to do.

“Measles is not a life-threatening disease,” goes one typical online comment. “Parents have every right not to vaccinate their children, especially when big pharma still uses toxins such as mercury (still in flu shots) and aluminum (still in most infant/child vaccines).” These people get plenty of affirmation on the Internet, which is a bottomless cornucopia of junk science and scare stories.

It’s true that measles rarely kills. But it can have serious side effects, including deafness and pneumonia. It travels the globe at the speed of airplanes. It is also easy to prevent and totally unnecessary. In some countries, and also some Canadian provinces, you have to get your kids vaccinated or else they can’t go to school. Good idea. As we learned with seat belts, a little coercion can be a good thing.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/measles-is-back-it-had-help/article13359533/

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Replies (161-169):
Diamepphyre
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Perhaps they should start requiring parents who refuse to vaccinate to pay 100% out of pocket for their child's care if they come down with the disease.
LittleBirdFly
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:08 AM
3 moms liked this

Courts quietly confirm MMR Vaccine causes Autism

For that discovery way back in 1996, and a subsequent research paper published by the doctor in 1998, Andrew Wakefield has found himself the victim of a world-wide smear campaign by drug corporations, governments and media companies. And while Dr. Wakefield has been persecuted and prosecuted to the extent of being unable to legally practice medicine because of his discovery, he has instead become a best-selling author, the founder of the Strategic Autism Initiative, and the Director of the Autism Media Channel.

But in recent months, courts, governments and vaccine manufacturers have quietly conceded the fact that the Measles Mumps Rubella (MMR) vaccine most likely does cause autism and stomach diseases. Pharmaceutical companies have even gone so far as to pay out massive monetary awards, totaling in the millions, to the victims in an attempt to compensate them for damages and to buy their silence.

and theres a lot more reports

edit, this is not a report from years ago, its from yesterday!

housewifehell
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Wow people really think these diseases are Unnecessary?  This is nature trying to fix the population problem I dont care how many vaccines you give your child nature will come up with something far worse eventually  so vax or dont but dont try to push your ideas that those of us who believe we need to get back to nature are crack pots. If we wipe out disease the population will continue to grow why are we so scared of death and why cant we accept it as a natural part of life?

witchybabymomma
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Vaccines are not 100% so no I don't think that is the sole reason. They are also not without their own risks so I can see why some parents choose not to give them to their children.
mkhc-531
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Would you feel the same if your child died because of one of those diseases? I'm not trying to argue or be a smart ass.. I'm honestly asking. Would you feel like it was just nature's calling for your child to pass because of such a disease, knowing you could have potentially prevented it :/
I'd rather my child develop autism from a vaccine than die from NOT getting it. I'd like for neither to happen, but if I had to choose I'd choose autism. That condition isn't life threatening.. js

Quoting housewifehell:

Wow people really think these diseases are Unnecessary?  This is nature trying to fix the population problem I dont care how many vaccines you give your child nature will come up with something far worse eventually  so vax or dont but dont try to push your ideas that those of us who believe we need to get back to nature are crack pots. If we wipe out disease the population will continue to grow why are we so scared of death and why cant we accept it as a natural part of life?

mrs.ramirez
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I ain't reading this shit. 

kmugs
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:05 PM

yes and no.

On the "no" side:  I will fight (to the death) for my kids to be healthy and live a long life.  I think lowering the amount of young people who die by disease is a good thing.

On the "yes" side:  Nature does have a system of checks and balances, and when we lower one disease another does seem to crop up. We are not meant to live forever.   I have no doubt that things like asthma, autism, autoimmune disorder and allergies are so prevalent because of choices we have made.  Vaccines, yes, are part of those choices.  Childhood diseases used to give childrens immune systems a work out - we do not get that anymore and I do believe it (and things like overuse of antibiotics, antibacterial soap, etc) contribute significantly to allergies and autoimmune issues.  

I also know that diseases morph, for lack of a better word, when vaccines are highly used.  Pertussis, for one.  Varicella and HIb for another.  Some of it is serotype replacement (non-dominant strains become dominant) and some of it is just that it pushes the disease into an older or younger populations, which is not good as the body is designed to handle these disease in childhood - not infancy or adulthood.  

Quoting housewifehell:

mommy2Kailey
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Seeing how my oldest got sick, and has a medical exemption...and there is no  way is HELL I am going to vaccinate my new baby... you can guess what my thoughs are on this.  I've been in way too many vax debates though.  It's my 1st time back in 5YRS, so figured this would be a good post to follow eye rolling

maggie13
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Thank you for your posts replies to my post, wolfbaby and kitty8199. I will look them up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)