Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

All because some mom's won't vaccinate...

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you agree that this is the reason that the measles are back or do you think there is more to it?

From Prince Edward Island to British Columbia, doctors across Canada are grappling with a highly infectious disease the likes of which they’ve never seen before: measles.

Measles was supposedly stamped out years ago, along with whooping cough, polio and other nasty maladies. But now it’s made a comeback, thanks to people who don’t believe in vaccinations. France, northern England and Wales have all been hit with serious measles outbreaks. Wales alone has had 1,200 cases since November of last year, mostly among children and adolescents under 18. Dozens more cases have appeared in pockets of the United States.

Canada has recorded about 30 cases in 2013, including eight in B.C. since June. “It’s been three years since we have seen measles in B.C.,” Dr. Paul Martiquet of the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority told Canadian Press.

The modern anti-vaccination scare began in the late 1990s, when a British physician named Andrew Wakefield began warning people that the MMR vaccine (measles, mumps and rubella) causes autism in children. Medical experts refuted his claims, but parents panicked. Vaccination rates in Britain sank from 92 per cent to 73 per cent. Dr. Wakefield’s research has since been widely condemned as a giant fraud, and many of the current crop of measles victims were never vaccinated because of him.

In Canada, the good news is that the new infections have been imported from elsewhere, either from infected people who travelled to Canada and passed it along, or from Canadians who were infected abroad. The bad news is that Canada’s vaccination rate is just 85 per cent – lower than it should be to confer population immunity. Our worst recent outbreak occurred in 2011, when 725 people came down with it in Quebec.

Even though Dr. Wakefield was thoroughly disgraced, anti-vaxxers aren’t hard to find. Plenty of chiropractors, homeopaths and other practitioners of “natural” medicine believe vaccines are unnecessary or dangerous. Activist-actress Jenny McCarthy (the new girl on The View) has been waging a high-profile war on childhood vaccines for years. Robert F. Kennedy Jr., the environmental activist, is another anti-vax crackpot. He’s claimed that we’re poisoning our children with thimerosal, a preservative in vaccines, and that a vast conspiracy of government agencies has covered up the truth.

Some anti-vaxxers belong to fringe religious groups. But some are highly educated, hyper-vigilant, holistically minded parents who believe the environment is full of toxic substances that are potential threats to their children. Some think the medical establishment has no right to tell them what to do.

“Measles is not a life-threatening disease,” goes one typical online comment. “Parents have every right not to vaccinate their children, especially when big pharma still uses toxins such as mercury (still in flu shots) and aluminum (still in most infant/child vaccines).” These people get plenty of affirmation on the Internet, which is a bottomless cornucopia of junk science and scare stories.

It’s true that measles rarely kills. But it can have serious side effects, including deafness and pneumonia. It travels the globe at the speed of airplanes. It is also easy to prevent and totally unnecessary. In some countries, and also some Canadian provinces, you have to get your kids vaccinated or else they can’t go to school. Good idea. As we learned with seat belts, a little coercion can be a good thing.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/measles-is-back-it-had-help/article13359533/

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Replies (21-30):
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM
My school age kids brought home an unvaxed friend that put my newborn in the hospital with mumps. I know now with this baby to ask parents if their kids are vaxed or not. If they aren't i will not allow them in my home until the baby is a year old.
Its their choice not to vax but its my choice to not let them in my house

Quoting IloveNCIS:

But your child is vaccinated, what is there to worry about?

Quoting mistressflora:

I think its insane someone would rather risk their child catching something like that than giving them a shot, but its their choice...What I think is even more messed up is that these women who think its ok to skip out of them, try to get the parents who do, not to!!! Im sorry, I want my kid going to school without catching something like that! I am all for vaccinations before going into school! its a way to keep everyone safe. My child will not die bc of your pride!

tyrelsmom
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM
5 moms liked this
Oh, this so much. Since when did chicken pox morph into some deadly disease? I too remember when the vaccine came out and they ADMITTED the main point of the vaccine was so kids wouldn't miss school and parents wouldn't miss work. Now it's "you're gonna kill the whole neighborhood if you don't vaccinate". Meanwhile shingles cases have gone through the roof since the vaccine has started....

Quoting GaleJ:

I must say that I have some questions and concerns when it comes to vaccinations.

When our son was young we selectively vaccinated. I honestly can't remember which was which now but on the advice of our doctor we gave him two of the MMR vaccines separately and didn't do the third one. There were, at the time, some concerns about that one part and due to the medical histories of our families our doctor thought that the risk outweighed the benefits for that segment for our son. Since we trusted our doctor and had read of the same concerns we felt it was justified.

The other issue I have vaccinations stems from our experience with the vaccine for the chicken pox. It was just being introduced when our son was young. Like many vaccines and medicines it was touted by the company that produced it in a pamphlet in which the company itself said that the chicken pox really wasn't dangerous and that the reason they had researched and introduced the vaccine was financial. Since there were so many families in which both parents worked and since the normal course of the chicken pox was approximately two weeks the vaccine would insure that the parents would not be in the position of having to miss so much work. We declined the vaccine since that wasn't an issue for us, I was a SAHP, and in due course our son got the chicken pox, no problem.

Since that time twenty some years the intention of the vaccine has morphed into one of medical importance although the chicken pox have not changed and aren't that dangerous and the risk of complications very low. They also administer it several times over the course of childhood and adolescence and now advocate for the adult version to fight off shingles although its efficacy against shingles has really not been proven. So my thought is that you sell more vaccine and make more money if it's about "dire health concerns" rather than whether or not working parents must miss work when their child/children have the chicken pox.

So I am all for vaccinations when appropriate for individual children for diseases that are proven to be dangerous or deadly or for children with compromised immunity. On the other hand for common childhood diseases that are generally not threats to the healthy children or others in the community I believe that parents should make the choice. If children who are not vaccinated do get such diseases they will then have the same immunity as provided by the vaccine and the disease itself should not be of consequence to the larger community since even though vaccination rates have fallen most children still are vaccinated. 

tyrelsmom
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Did you have mumps as a child?

Quoting NDADanceMom:

My school age kids brought home an unvaxed friend that put my newborn in the hospital with mumps. I know now with this baby to ask parents if their kids are vaxed or not. If they aren't i will not allow them in my home until the baby is a year old.

Quoting IloveNCIS:

Quoting mistressflora:

I think its insane someone would rather risk their child catching something like that than giving them a shot, but its their choice...What I think is even more messed up is that these women who think its ok to skip out of them, try to get the parents who do, not to!!! Im sorry, I want my kid going to school without catching something like that! I am all for vaccinations before going into school! its a way to keep everyone safe. My child will not die bc of your pride!

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Yes actually. My entire grade in high school had to be revaxed because it was a bad batch. I already had the measles and mumps though!

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting IloveNCIS:

Quoting mistressflora:

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:33 AM
My only child that was not vaxed for chicken pox (because she got it before getting the shot) was diagnosed with shingles last year in 5th grade. The Minnesota department of health called us about it because there was an outbreak that somehow was linked to the vax. Not sure of how though since she never had the shot.

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Oh, this so much. Since when did chicken pox morph into some deadly disease? I too remember when the vaccine came out and they ADMITTED the main point of the vaccine was so kids wouldn't miss school and parents wouldn't miss work. Now it's "you're gonna kill the whole neighborhood if you don't vaccinate". Meanwhile shingles cases have gone through the roof since the vaccine has started....

Quoting GaleJ:

I must say that I have some questions and concerns when it comes to vaccinations.

When our son was young we selectively vaccinated. I honestly can't remember which was which now but on the advice of our doctor we gave him two of the MMR vaccines separately and didn't do the third one. There were, at the time, some concerns about that one part and due to the medical histories of our families our doctor thought that the risk outweighed the benefits for that segment for our son. Since we trusted our doctor and had read of the same concerns we felt it was justified.

The other issue I have vaccinations stems from our experience with the vaccine for the chicken pox. It was just being introduced when our son was young. Like many vaccines and medicines it was touted by the company that produced it in a pamphlet in which the company itself said that the chicken pox really wasn't dangerous and that the reason they had researched and introduced the vaccine was financial. Since there were so many families in which both parents worked and since the normal course of the chicken pox was approximately two weeks the vaccine would insure that the parents would not be in the position of having to miss so much work. We declined the vaccine since that wasn't an issue for us, I was a SAHP, and in due course our son got the chicken pox, no problem.

Since that time twenty some years the intention of the vaccine has morphed into one of medical importance although the chicken pox have not changed and aren't that dangerous and the risk of complications very low. They also administer it several times over the course of childhood and adolescence and now advocate for the adult version to fight off shingles although its efficacy against shingles has really not been proven. So my thought is that you sell more vaccine and make more money if it's about "dire health concerns" rather than whether or not working parents must miss work when their child/children have the chicken pox.

So I am all for vaccinations when appropriate for individual children for diseases that are proven to be dangerous or deadly or for children with compromised immunity. On the other hand for common childhood diseases that are generally not threats to the healthy children or others in the community I believe that parents should make the choice. If children who are not vaccinated do get such diseases they will then have the same immunity as provided by the vaccine and the disease itself should not be of consequence to the larger community since even though vaccination rates have fallen most children still are vaccinated. 

LittleBirdFly
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:38 AM

to shut them up? I dont know but I heard you can not sue the doctor nor the vaccine company

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

THERE IS A FUND SET ASIDE BY THE GOVERNMENT FOR THOSE INJURED BY VACCINES  !!!!!

GUESS WHAT IT'S FOR  ?????

tyrelsmom
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM
2 moms liked this
Hmm. Usually if you yourself have natural immunity your baby gets temp immunity. Like how pertussis used to be dangerous from 3 to 6 months, now it's dangerous under 2 months, a population that used to have immunity.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Yes actually. My entire grade in high school had to be revaxed because it was a bad batch. I already had the measles and mumps though!

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting IloveNCIS:

Quoting mistressflora:

tyrelsmom
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:48 AM
3 moms liked this
You're susceptible to shingles if you've had either chicken pox or the shot. You do not catch it from kids with chicken pox as some seem to believe. The virus just reactivates when the immune system is having a low point. Being around kids with chicken pox works as a natural booster - it causes your immune system to fight of the virus again, which it does usually easily with no symptoms because you're immune from the previous time - and your immune system is sort of "re-amped" against the chicken pox, so it has a much harder time reactivating to give you shingles. Since we're not often exposed to chicken pox anymore, that natural booster isn't happening, so more and more, and younger and younger people are getting shingles, which is usually MUCH worse than chicken pox.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

My only child that was not vaxed for chicken pox (because she got it before getting the shot) was diagnosed with shingles last year in 5th grade. The Minnesota department of health called us about it because there was an outbreak that somehow was linked to the vax. Not sure of how though since she never had the shot.

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Quoting GaleJ:

tyrelsmom
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM
They would find who they can to sue... Probably the government. Because they have to, having a permanently disabled child is not cheap.

Quoting LittleBirdFly:

to shut them up? I dont know but I heard you can not sue the doctor nor the vaccine company

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

THERE IS A FUND SET ASIDE BY THE GOVERNMENT FOR THOSE INJURED BY VACCINES  !!!!!

GUESS WHAT IT'S FOR  ?????

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM
She was in pain all along her side. It was a red blotch from her belly button to her armpit on the right side. There was not much we could do for it as all the treatments are tested on adults. The health dept said its rather new in kids. It took much longer than chicken pox to go away and when she is stressed she feels that same area tingle.

Quoting tyrelsmom:

You're susceptible to shingles if you've had either chicken pox or the shot. You do not catch it from kids with chicken pox as some seem to believe. The virus just reactivates when the immune system is having a low point. Being around kids with chicken pox works as a natural booster - it causes your immune system to fight of the virus again, which it does usually easily with no symptoms because you're immune from the previous time - and your immune system is sort of "re-amped" against the chicken pox, so it has a much harder time reactivating to give you shingles. Since we're not often exposed to chicken pox anymore, that natural booster isn't happening, so more and more, and younger and younger people are getting shingles, which is usually MUCH worse than chicken pox.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Quoting GaleJ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)