Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

OCD and Superstitions!!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:52 PM
  • 26 Replies

Do you have any? Do you do weird stuff? Do you HAVE to do something a certain way? Do your friends and family laugh at you or get annoyed? Tell me your OCD moments and Superstitions!!

Happy Lesbian, married to my Bestfriend =) Life can't get much better!!lesbiansgay pride ribbon

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OklahomaWifey
by Amanda on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I believe that bad things will happen if I put my right sock on before my left sock. I also lead with my left side. Always. Left leg goes in my pants/shorts first, left sock first, left shoe first, left everything first. Pants go on before my shirt. I HAVE to start from the bottom and make my way up.

The TV, radio, anything with controlled numbers has to be set on an odd number. 

My family and friends laugh at me. Every time. Even if I have to go into the bedroom and strip down to start all over because I realized I put my right sock on before my left, and make us late to wherever we are going. My wife thinks I am hilarious. 

I know it's weird, but it's me. I have been this way for as long as I can remember...

OklahomaWifey
by Amanda on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:07 PM

BUMP!!

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I never start any thing at 9:11 am or pm.... I've done this since I was a kid ( for the record I started college in 98) so you can imagine how much it freaked me out when 9/11 happened... I always said something bad was going to happen at 9:11 but I thought it meant time not a date.

Goddesswillow
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:14 PM

sometimes when i say something i have to tighten some muscle on my body on either my left or right side and alternate with each word, i always have to end on my right side otherwise i repeat the whole thing, sometimes i mess up and think i'm going to end up on the wrong side only to realize it would have been right and sometimes i end up doing it 5 times before i feel i get it right, sometimes when I walk i do the same thing with my feet, luckily no one notices, but i did tell my husband about it. He is understanding in that i cant control it. If i get a message and i dont respond right away i always feel like the other person thinks I'm ignoring them, even though i know its not true, i think it anyway. And everything has to be in a specific spot, if its a few inches off, if the papers aren't properly aligned, the books not organized from biggest to smallest, then i feel like I'm losing control and everything is out of balance, my husband knows this one all to well then he does dishes and I'm having to put the pot one spot in front and the other in back when he gets them backwards, he wonders how i can remember where i put everything

cindim1963
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I always toss some salt over my shoulder when cooking - rather go on and have it done before you spill any and have to do it in the middle of assembling a recipe.

OklahomaWifey
by Amanda on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Wow! Yeah I would definitely freak out too if I thought of 9:11 like you! Creepy! Thanks for sharing!!

Quoting ditsyjo:

I never start any thing at 9:11 am or pm.... I've done this since I was a kid ( for the record I started college in 98) so you can imagine how much it freaked me out when 9/11 happened... I always said something bad was going to happen at 9:11 but I thought it meant time not a date.

OklahomaWifey
by Amanda on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Yes! I tell my wife and our girls that everything has a spot. I hate clutter and I'm a clean freak. They will mess with me sometimes and move stuff around to see how crazy they can make me. Jokes on them... I just laugh with them and fix it. Lol. They continue to do it in hopes one day they will see my head spin. 

That's great your hubby is supportive! I know some people (my cousin is one of them) who's loved ones get impatient and mean about it. Thanks for sharing!!

Quoting Goddesswillow:

sometimes when i say something i have to tighten some muscle on my body on either my left or right side and alternate with each word, i always have to end on my right side otherwise i repeat the whole thing, sometimes i mess up and think i'm going to end up on the wrong side only to realize it would have been right and sometimes i end up doing it 5 times before i feel i get it right, sometimes when I walk i do the same thing with my feet, luckily no one notices, but i did tell my husband about it. He is understanding in that i cant control it. If i get a message and i dont respond right away i always feel like the other person thinks I'm ignoring them, even though i know its not true, i think it anyway. And everything has to be in a specific spot, if its a few inches off, if the papers aren't properly aligned, the books not organized from biggest to smallest, then i feel like I'm losing control and everything is out of balance, my husband knows this one all to well then he does dishes and I'm having to put the pot one spot in front and the other in back when he gets them backwards, he wonders how i can remember where i put everything

OklahomaWifey
by Amanda on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:23 PM

There you go!! Go ahead and get it out of the way! Lol

Quoting cindim1963:

I always toss some salt over my shoulder when cooking - rather go on and have it done before you spill any and have to do it in the middle of assembling a recipe.

cindim1963
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Thank my grandmother and Rachel Ray for that little bit of superstition.

My mom is OCD about her undies - she has to have them all folded the same way before they go into her dresser.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:33 PM
I have to clean a certain way. My husband can not help me, otherwise i just go back over what he has done. So he helps me by making sure kids pick their toys up
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)