Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Hair Help Please!!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:20 PM
  • 9 Replies

Ok so my hair is naturally curly and when I straightened it last month it looked kinda frizzy. What can I do to relax the curls more and not look frizzy? Here's a pic...

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
BeccaJoy622
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:26 PM
You can try a serum after you straighten. I like Kenra personally.
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I was also going to suggest using a straightening serum or cream on your hair when it's wet.  Blow it all the way dry and then use a hot flat iron to straighten your hair.

Or, there are chemical means of straightening that you can try.

RADmomma
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Wash your hair at night then put a little leave in conditioner... Just a little. Dry...

Then in the morning wet it, add a little product. something specifically for straightening...blow it dry with a round brush. Then flat iron.

If your hair is slightly "dirty" (not fresh washed) it will style better.
Erica705
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Blow dry your hair completely. Usually frizz occurs because it wasn't dry all the way when you straightened it. Also apply a spray in heat protector while you blow dry it. Section your hair and straighten it that way. After put a small amount of serum, about a pea sized amount. Let me know how this goes.
mamav2215
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I have the same hair type. It's not curly, but it has some waves and none of my hair lays nicely if it airdries. 

What works best for me is to immediately after showering... towel dry your hair to get access water out (But don't do it vigurously), I don't use much product because I have extremely sensitive skin prone to break outs... but you could use a straightening serum or anti frizz product while it's wet.. then blow dry immediately (DO NOT LET IT DRY NATURALLY) I don't use a round brush, I just can not do it.. but they do work best. If i'm going to flat iron... I do that right away after blow drying. THere are heat protection products you can use before you flat iron... again I usually skip them for the sake of my skin. Section your hair so you get it all flat ironed. I then use just a tiny bit of gloss drops so its not dry looking (since I dont use heat protection, my hair gets a little fried). Also... be sure you have a flat iron that gets hot enough for your hair type. I have course hair and I need a really hot flat iron, and only do small sections at a time. 

ALso people who are saying to wash the night before... I've heard this works, but for me my hair is a nightmare in the morning. Another really good option... don't use a towel to dry your hair... use an old tshirt. It helps reduce frizz for some reason. 

867530nine
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:02 PM
I wash my hair at night, spray Sally's Miracle 7 in it and sleep on it/let it air dry. When I wake up I use tresseme (sp?) heat protection spray then straighten my hair. Well, that's when I straighten my hair.

I absolutely love the Mircale 7 stuff, idk how I went so long without it. :)
nancyschmancey
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Flat iron is your best bet.  Blow it out first, using a round brush if you want to keep some volume.  I have far curlier hair and it straightens perfectly (every day).  Heat protectant is good if you have dry/unhealthy looking hair.

I also swear by brazilian blowouts.  They're expensive, and a lot of folks are put off by the relatively untested product (i.e. is it safe?), but it's amazing.  My hair is straight for months, even if I don't blow it dry.  But I'm avoiding while pregant, so for now it's the blow-out and flat-iron thing, which takes me about 20 minutes.

AromaDrops33
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I suggest using Jordan Essentials natural shampoo & hair mask. It's all natural, and leaves your hair soft and manageable 

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this
It looks like you aren't straightening it at a high enough temp. I use an iron that heats to 430 degrees. If i use a cheaper one it gets frizzy like that. I also use an oil or balm after.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN