Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do your kids say this?

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM
  • 25 Replies

We have a good sized above ground pool.  It's pretty common that when my kids are out in it a couple of the neighbor kids drop by to jump in.  Most of the time this isn't a problem.  But,  there are a couple of girls who get in the pool, jump on a tube, and start yelling "don't splash me, I don't want to get wet".  l've just started to tell them they need to get out and go home.  I've tried explaining that water is wet but their response is "we know it is we just don't want to get wet". 
It just amazes me. 
Your thoughts?

by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I dislike dealing with the neighborhood kids when it comes to the pool. They're exceptionally unreasonable, to the point where they apparently can't see why I'm yelling at them as they're holding a four-year-old's head under water. I've had to take a very blunt approach: "This is not your yard (or pool). You do not set the rules for it. If you don't like my rules, you can leave. If you want to be here, you will follow them." So I would just tell them if they want to be in the pool, they have to expect to get wet. If they don't want to be wet they need to stay away from the water.

jrmo4
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Mmm. It is your pool and your perogative to do whatever. I usually tell my kids that if they dont want to get splashed to not splash others, but your issue is kids not wanting to get wet. Is it really such a big issue that they dont want to get wet or that they are camping on the tubes? Do you know these children and are they otherwise well behaved? Maybe you should start having their parents phone you ahead of time to make sure it is okay.
BeccaJoy622
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I never let neighbor kids in ours for liability reasons. You never know what could happen and the parents turn around a blame you!
abecee
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I have no problem with telling them and their parents the rules (I speak to the parents before their child/ren are ever allowed in the pool).  I've had trouble with a couple of them because they expect me to provide, goggles, tubes, and other water toys, and towels.  It did surprise how fast I regretted my decisions.  I think its under control now, most of them know what I expect and what is allowed.
Thanks for your responses.

Retrokitty
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:06 PM
I hate being splashed. I don't mid being in the pool but I HATE being splashed. Its a different feeling.
Retrokitty
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:06 PM
I hate being splashed. I don't mid being in the pool but I HATE being splashed. Its a different feeling.
yayay15
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this
When I go to water World I always tells them not to push me through the water fall because I don't want to get wet. Lol. They just tell me I came to the wrong place. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this
My parents had a pool when i was growing up. It was a pain for them because the whole world seemed to think it was a public pool. My mom was comfortable with her kids playing in the pool while she ran in to the bathroom and such (2 of us were teens) but she felt like she had to play lifeguard when other kids were around.
Also if we wanted a snack every kid would want one so she ended up feeding a dozen kids everyday. She finally talked to moms in the area and told them if their kids came over we were all going in the house and their child would not be supervised.
abecee
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I can understand this. The pool isn't that big and with 4 or 5 other kids in there jumping, bouncing,splashing and having fun, the girls are going to get splashed it can't be avoided.  It's sounds like it would be better for everyone if they stayed out of the pool.

Quoting Retrokitty:

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I would tell them that they need to get ouf of pool since they others are having fun.  Now if people are purposely splashing them, i would talk to those children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)