Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Are you embarrassed of your job?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:03 AM
  • 93 Replies
I was at target yesterday and the cashier was about my age, 40ish. I felt sad for her that she had to work such a low paying job normally filled by students. I wondered how bad money is at her home that a target job was needed. I'm sure she sees people that know her and wondered if she felt embarrassed to have such a low paying public job. I felt so bad.
Have you ever had to work a low paying job where people you knew saw you?
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lapcounter
by Super Mom on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM
5 moms liked this
FFS nice assumptions. She may have a part time job there just to get out of the house, not everyone that works retail has to or is poor. No neither my husband or I are embarrassed of the businesses we own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wissotamum
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a decent paying job. I know a woman who now works as a cashier at target who once was married and had a big beautiful house. Her hubby got laid off, they got divorced and this is how she's making ends meet. She doesn't seem embarrassed and I'm not embarrassed for her. Situations change and we all do what we have to.
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this
All of my jobs have been low paying. I work with animals and no I'm not embarrassed at all. I enjoy working with animals and have learned a lot.
lovemysnugbugs
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:07 AM
20 moms liked this
I don't think you felt all that bad. It sounds like you feel superior.
lapcounter
by Super Mom on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:08 AM
2 moms liked this
Probably better than working with people some days.

Quoting KyliesMom5:

All of my jobs have been low paying. I work with animals and no I'm not embarrassed at all. I enjoy working with animals and have learned a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CasandraFinlay
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Your mind wonders too much :-) I'm almost 32. I have an education and experience. But the job I'd go for is M-F, 8-5. Can't work that because our son has issues and the school has me on speed-dial (yes, he is in a specialty, private program). I'd take on a Target job to get out of the house and make a few bucks... and the hours, most likely, wouldn't interfere with the rest of my day. Perhaps that might be her situation???

kidlover2
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Why would you feel bad? Many older women take those jobs to get out of the house when their kids are in school and the job is flexible enough that they can still go to school events and easily call in when their kids get sick. They use their earnings as their fun money and the job keeps them sane. I'm sure that there are many other reasons to be a cashier too, probably some like you mentioned. I choose not to make snapshot judgment calls based on 1 or 2 things that I see. I'm sad for you and wonder why you are so angry and judgmental. You should youtube " This is Water" it will give you a different perspective on people.
TEIMSfamily
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:11 AM

When my mother worked she was a cashier in the pharmacy at walmart. It wasn't because she had to work. She wanted something to do. She also worked at Dillards. She hated Dillards. I have a some what well paying job. I don't like saying where because it does make me a little paranoid after hearing some of the stories my co-workers have told me.

crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:12 AM
I was the art director of an advertising agency when I got let go. I am doing my best to get freelance clients (to make extra money while i look for a real job) but the money isn't always steady, and unemployment won't last forever. I have commented several times that I think I might get a PT job at retail or big box store for some steady money. Working gives people self worth and you should never feel ashamed. You don't know her situation and should never assume that she feels shame for where she is working.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Most definantly!

Quoting lapcounter:

Probably better than working with people some days.

Quoting KyliesMom5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)