Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Opening up a can of worms

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM
  • 14 Replies

What do you guys think about our welfare system. I am all for goverment assistance if the person or family has fallen on hard times. I think it is a little outragous that tax payers are paying for people who recieve goverment assistance to have cell phones.  I think if you are part of the welfare system you should get the bare neccessities to get through life. 

by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojo_star
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I think the welfare system needs a major overhaul. 

Miss-anonymous
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM
I dnt think having cell phones is ridicilous. How else to get jobs etc? And the phone they have are so basic. No media pictures etc. Just calling and texting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Now I am ok with the government cell phones.  Our state has a thing called life line.  You can get discounted phone service for your home. If your income eligible.  But if you choose not to have a land line.  Let  the people have the cell phone instead.  Not the government paying for both.  If I had a choice. I'd take the free cell phone over a land line. 

NDADanceMom
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I think there is a ton of waste in the welfare system. I think that a phone is important, maybe not a smart phone but making calls isn't a luxury IMO.
I think people who collect assistance should do something for what they receive. Maybe take turns babysitting at a child care place and cleaning up city parks. They could volunteer to clean homes of the elderly and disabled, whatever needs doing. There is so much to do and it would give people a sense of pride to earn what they get.
funmom111
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:01 PM

What a great post by NDA Dance Mom. I think she hit the nail on top of the head. I think anyone that recieves goverment assistance should have to do so many hours of community service to keep recieving goverment assistance. 

Kmary
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm very much in favor or welfare and other safety nets.  I do think the way they are run is greatly flawed.  I do not, however, have any issue with welfare recipients having cell phones. 

BeccaJoy622
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm probably going to get a lot of backlash for this, but here goes:

I think there should be drug testing implemented if you want government assistance.
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I would also include drug testing.

Quoting funmom111:

What a great post by NDA Dance Mom. I think she hit the nail on top of the head. I think anyone that recieves goverment assistance should have to do so many hours of community service to keep recieving goverment assistance. 

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM

No backlash from me.  I agree.  I understand that some people need assistance, but when the people with the welfare cards come into the county jail and leave $50-100 a week for their loved ones in the jail (who are in for dealing drugs or manufacturing them), I want to take their cards and cut them up right then and there.

Quoting BeccaJoy622:

I'm probably going to get a lot of backlash for this, but here goes:

I think there should be drug testing implemented if you want government assistance.

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I see the other side of this; if a person is collecting assistance because of unemployment, requiring them to work for that assistance is taking away valuable time - that can and should be spent either furthering their education and/or job searching.

Similarly, if you require "hours" from a person receiving assistance who IS working (just at a menial wage job), those required "hours" are taking away from their job and, if it doesn't interfere with their work hours, it is taking away from the possibility of furthering their education after work.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I think there is a ton of waste in the welfare system. I think that a phone is important, maybe not a smart phone but making calls isn't a luxury IMO.
I think people who collect assistance should do something for what they receive. Maybe take turns babysitting at a child care place and cleaning up city parks. They could volunteer to clean homes of the elderly and disabled, whatever needs doing. There is so much to do and it would give people a sense of pride to earn what they get.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)