Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Who's job is it?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:16 PM
  • 43 Replies
We both work full time jobs. Who's job is it to keep the house clean?

ETA: im asking because while I think it should be a shared responsibility, some people have informed me that it's my job. So I'm wondering what you all think.
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kattcooper
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:18 PM
I'm old fashioned so in my mind I always think women, but since you are both working I think the house hold responsibilities should be shared between both of you!
BeccaJoy622
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:18 PM
It's equally both your responsibility. My bf and I both work full time jobs too, and if its messy, we clean it.
mamav2215
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a firm believe that whatever makes your marriage and your lives work in a healthy and happy way... is how it should be done. For us... that means I do most of the cleaning because his idea of cleaning makes me want to throw up most of the time, and then I just get mad at him. (he has no clue what dusting means, or cleaning the bathtub and sink w/ actual cleaning products, and would use the same rag for a month) However, I'm not currently working so I would do it all anyway. When I am working... he is good about vaccuming (we have 3 dogs, so it'd one frequently) and if he gets home before me and what's for dinner is something he knows how to make... it's done when I get home, and he takes the garbage out about 90% of the time, plus makes sure bills are paid (mostly because it's billpay out of his account though). 

it NOT your job simply because you have a vagina. Women (and men) who think that are the reason sexism is still around. 

Rubia653
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:43 PM

My husband and I share responsibilities in the house, but we rent so he doesn't have to mow the lawn or anything either. We kind of have an unspoken agreement about what each person does based on what is easy for him to do without messing up my (admittedly very anal) organizational system. :)

dixiegurl223626
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Well, I work full time and hubby is in school full time and works part time. He cleans the house and takes care of childcare arrangements. When he worked full time and I was in school and worked part time, I did it. So I guess what ever you and hubby decide.
ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Since you both work full time then it should be a shared duty. You also should take turns taking care of dinner each night as well. 

My hubby is the only one working and he still cooks breakfast on the weekends and cooks dinner at least once a week unless he has to work on the weekend. He also mows the yard. And help around the house when we will be having company over and it needs a little extra cleaning. 

iHEAVENn
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I worked full time last year, and it was still my job to keep the house clean, I couldn't do it.. The hours I worked most days were so random or very long or had to stay away from home etc. The house fell apart. I went back to being a stay at hom mom when hubby got promoted to manager spot. 

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:52 PM

We rent as well but we have to mow the yard or pay some one to do it. 

Quoting Rubia653:

My husband and I share responsibilities in the house, but we rent so he doesn't have to mow the lawn or anything either. We kind of have an unspoken agreement about what each person does based on what is easy for him to do without messing up my (admittedly very anal) organizational system. :)

Sarah      10-16-06                                     Luciano 11-27-08

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Shared

ilovethebus
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:05 PM

In our household, we both work too.  The way I see it, it's my responsiblity.  But if he wants it done quicker, he can get a start on things for me.  It's very helpful when he chips in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN