Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Stars you may not know are of color

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:26 PM
  • 40 Replies

There is not real "point" to this per se....I just thought it was interesting and thought I would share.

Stars You May Not Know Are of Color

When Flashdance opened in 1983, most didn't know its star was biracial. Hollywood is full of surprises.

Pete Wentz (Jason Kempin/Getty Images); Jennifer Beals (Jason Kempin/Getty Images); Frankie Muniz (Kevin Winter/Getty Images)
Black or Latino Celebrities Who Might Surprise You
When Flashdance opened in 1983, most didn't know its star was biracial. Hollywood is full of surprises.

04/11/2013 - 15:58

(The Root) -- It's been 30 years since Flashdance found its way into our hearts and into the 1980s dance-movie canon. It was also when we were introduced to actress Jennifer Beals, a svelte brunette who later revealed that she was part black. Who knew?

Here are other black and Latino celebs who have incited similar reactions.

• Jennifer Beals

Jason Kempin/Getty Images

The star of Flashdance and the Showtime series The L Word caught us by surprise when we learned that her father was Puerto Rican and African American and her mother is Irish -- a fact that's helped her with her art. Of her role as a lesbian in The L Word, she said, "Because I'm biracial, I've always lived sort of on the outside. The idea of being 'the other' in society is not foreign to me."

• Vin Diesel

Ernest Ruscio/Getty Images

Well, he's never really said that he's black, but the part-Italian actor did confirm in 2003 that he was "definitely a person of color." He has said that he never met his birth father -- who is assumed to be African American -- but he does acknowledge with pride that he was raised by his black stepfather.

• Pete Wentz

Jason Kempin/Getty Images

When his hair isn't straight, it's easy to tell. The Fall Out Boy bassist's mother is Jamaican, which explains the reggae influence in some of the band's music. Fun fact: Wentz confirmed his distant relationship to former Secretary of State Colin Powell, who is also Afro-Jamaican.

• Frankie Muniz

Kevin Winter/Getty Images

The Malcolm in the Middle star knows it's unlikely that anyone would peg him as Latino based on his looks, despite his last name. And it sounds like something he's been able to use to his advantage. In 2000 he told the Chicago Tribune, "My dad is Puerto Rican and my mom is half Irish and half Italian. But I don't look like any of that. Casting directors say I look like everybody."

• Slash

Frazer Harrison/Getty Images

His long, billowy hair is an obvious clue, but despite rumors that the former Guns N Roses guitarist is part Jewish, his mother is African American and his dad is English. In a 2008 biography he said, "As a musician, I've always been amused that I'm both British and black; particularly because so many American musicians seem to aspire to be British while so many British musicians, in the sixties in particular, went to such great pains to be black."

• Wentworth Miller

Kevin Winter/Getty Images

Miller's father is African American, and his mother is Russian and Syrian. The Prison Break heartthrob caused quite a stir as a junior at Princeton University in 1994, where a cartoon he drew with racially tinged references led students -- who didn't know he was part black -- to believe that he was a bigot. Back then, he decided not to explain himself. Of the incident, in 2003 he told the New Yorker, "To be perfectly clear, passing is something that has never crossed my mind."

• Raquel Welch

John Shearer/Getty Images

The Golden Globe-winning actress and 1960s TV personality and sex symbol is part Latina. Her father emigrated from Bolivia, and Welch grew up with little connection to the country. In her 2010 book, Beyond the Cleavage, she wrote, "For most of my life, [my father] was an enigma to me. He spoke only occasionally of his Bolivian roots, and he never spoke Spanish in our home. This made me feel like there was something wrong with being from Bolivia, 'a third-world country.' "

• Stacey Dash

Frederick Brown/Getty Images

Did you know that our favorite Clueless character, in addition to being black, is also of Mexican descent? During the fiasco surrounding her 2012 endorsement of Mitt Romney, she appeared on Piers Morgan Tonight and proudly declared, "I am Mexican American."

• Carol Channing

Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images

The Tony Award-winning Broadway actress, who is 92, has said that she was 16 years old when she learned that she was part black. Channing says her mother told her that her father was half German and half black and wasn't raised by his mother because of the shame surrounding his identity. But Channing wasn't ashamed. In a Jet magazine interview, she said, "I thought I had the greatest genes in showbiz."

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/ebbierowe
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JeremiahJackson
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Cool! Thank you :-)
ebbierowe
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM

lol...you are welcome

Quoting JeremiahJackson:

Cool! Thank you :-)

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Some of those i knew and some i did not.  Geneology is a big part of our family.

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:19 PM
With the exception of Frankie Muniz and Pete Wentz the others seem obvious
ebbierowe
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting DACIA79:

With the exception of Frankie Muniz and Pete Wentz the others seem obvious

see I assumed Frankie Muniz was....and I always thought Wentworth was more then white.

TeamTARDIS
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow I would never have guessed Pete Wentz at all.
My siblings and I are Caucasian and Indian. I am the only one that you could tell at all about the Indian part since I have dark hair, eyes and I have tanned skin.
My sisters are blonde haired and blue eyed. My brother had blonde hair growing up but it has darkened over time. They have blue eyes though.
JollyMommy84
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Wow some of these I had no idea,thanks for sharing...

ebbierowe
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:59 PM

yeah Pete threw me for a loop. My daughter is a big fan of his and she didn't know

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

My siblings and I are Caucasian and Indian. I am the only one that you could tell at all about the Indian part since I have dark hair, eyes and I have tanned skin.
My sisters are blonde haired and blue eyed. My brother had blonde hair growing up but it has darkened over time. They have blue eyes though.

TeamTARDIS
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 6:02 PM
He must take after his dad. I know two brothers who are mixed race, one looks just like his Jamaican mom but with his Caucasian fathers coloring and the other looks just like his dad but with his moms coloring.
It is kind of wild how genetics work.

Quoting ebbierowe:

yeah Pete threw me for a loop. My daughter is a big fan of his and she didn't know

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

ebbierowe
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

He must take after his dad. I know two brothers who are mixed race, one looks just like his Jamaican mom but with his Caucasian fathers coloring and the other looks just like his dad but with his moms coloring.
It is kind of wild how genetics work.

Quoting ebbierowe:

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)