Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Orphaned kittens: I need help!!!

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:49 PM
  • 14 Replies

I took in a female cat about 3 months ago, someone just dropped her off and I found her under my car skinny and hungry. Well 2 weeks ago she gave birth to 3 kittens in one of my kids drawers, everything was fine she was being a great mother. She would go out through the doggie door but always came back to her kittens. On sunday around 10 pm she left and I didn't think anything of it until yesterday morning when she wasn't with her kittens, I waited till noon to see if she went out in the morning and would be back but she never came back. I am sadly sure that something happened to her, now I am trying to feed the kittens I went and bought a kitten milk replacer and a bottle. I am force feeding them every two hours, they still have lots of energy and have urinated almost every time I stimulate but they have yet to have a bowel. I spoke to my vet and she said there was really nothing they could do and that there was no reason to bring them in. I spoke to different shelters and rescue groups and they think I should just keep trying what I am doing, some of them said that because they were so small they worried if brought in to a shelter they would die or catch something there. I don't know what to do, I wish I had someone close by that could show me what to do but I don't. I want them to survive but I have never done this before, I have no experience and am worried that I am doing everything wrong. Please help any Ideas/advice??? TIA

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lvictorio4
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:53 PM

BUMP!

RoseWall
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:54 PM

hang in there. you are their best chance.

Lvictorio4
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Thanks... i just wish I knew more

Quoting RoseWall:

hang in there. you are their best chance.

thefinalfall13
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

You are doing everything right so far. Keep giving the kmr, stimulate with a warm wet paper towel.  Bottle babies are a handful, also make sure you keep them warm, a heating pad on low under a blanket would help if you don't have one just keep them in a box with a blanket in there.  They mostly pee at first so what you're seeing is normal, I've done this with a lot of litters for rescues, you're on the right track just keep it up.

RoseWall
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:57 PM

i know  you are worried. hugs

its very likely you are doing everything very right.

just in case  here a few links from google

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+care+for+orphaned+kitten&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

its a lot of work. so maybe try to recruit some other cat lovers or anyone who  wants to be a part of a life saving operation.

star33
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:58 PM

sounds like you're doing great. when i was young we got some kittens that were not as old as we were told, so we did the same thing you're doing & they were fine.

RoseWall
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:59 PM

does anyone else you know have a nursing cat? who would foster them.

LoveMyKBabies
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:00 PM
2 moms liked this

They can get a little constipated when switched from Mama milk to the milk replacer. Don't really worry about bowels unless 3 days pass without any. You can try giving them a couple small drops of mineral oil from the store. That will loosen things up. Just remember to wipe constantly & keep going until no more poop is coming out. If they haven't gone in awhile, the first time will probably be quite a bit.

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Just keep trying to stimulate them. Wet a paper towel with warm water. It takes some practice but you will get the hang of it. If you are having trouble with the bottles you can get a syringe from a vet. I think syringes are so much easier to feed them with .
SissyAnn141
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:04 PM

http://www.cafemom.com/group/6976/?ct=search_group             

About Cat lovers

If you love cats, enjoy talking about them. If you have stories you want to share about the cats you have, or have had. If advice is needed, we'll try to find the answer. If you have helpful hints, or just want to connect with other women who love cats.

General DiscussionTo see or post to all forums:Join Group

See All Posts »
To see or post to all photo albums:Join GroupGroup Photos
  • Pa'ton-...
  • Jojo
  • Callie
  • Turbo
  • Pa'ton
  • What? I...
  • dickie
  • gunther
  • dickie ...
  • pearl
  • my litt...
  • duchess
  • duchess...
  • emmit
  • emmit
Welcome!
Owner          babs14830
About Cat lovers

If you love cats, enjoy talking about them. If you have stories you want to share about the cats you have, or have had. If advice is needed, we'll try to find the answer. If you have helpful hints, or just want to connect with other women who love cats.

♥♥♥   I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU   ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)