Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
What time do you think is an appropriate bed time for elementary age kids? My boys are 8 and 6 and go to need between 8 and 830 during the week. My baby sister had told me (and my kids) that I'm mean for making them go to bed that early. Her 9 year old step daughter and 4 year old son stay up until 930 most nights, and its not uncommon for it to be closer to 1030. I'm not asking what to do about my sister, she is a brat and that's pretty much all there is to it. But it did make me curious about other moms bedtime opinions.
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Replies (21-30):
saphiraka
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:56 PM

My 10 year old goes to bed at 8..  shes a real handful anyway but if she doesnt get enough sleep she will have a really bad day.  My 12 year old can stay up till 9.  They have to be up @ 6 to get ready for school.

rashellj19
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Mine, 5 and almost 8 year old go to bed between 8 and 8:30 pm. My youngest starts kindergarten this year. I think it's a reasonable time. Look up the sleep chart for kids, at those ages they should be getting around 10 hours of sleep a night. I think it was between 10 and 12 hours.
CjEmmemommy
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Last year we had to get up at 6.40 to be to school on time. They all went to bed at 7.30.. They were tired by then even though only 1 was in full time school. They are 7, 5, 2.5

This year they have switched to private and it doesn't start till 8.45 so they can go down at 8:)

SP_Mama
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Mine are closing in on 7 & 8 and their schooltime bedtime is between 7:30 and 8:00.  They have to be up 6:15-6:30.

MrsApple
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:00 PM

My daughter is almost 7 and her school bedtime is 7pm.If she's not in bed on time,I see the next morning that she's struggling to stay awake.

IAMmomtotrips
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:01 PM
My girls are in bed by 7...at the last eat 7:30, but its because they have to get up at 5:15 on school days.
Motherof3inNJ
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:07 PM

They go to bed at 9 and have to be up at 6:45.

.LoveMy2Girls
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:19 PM
My 7 year old just started 2nd grade, she goes to bed by 8pm on school nights. She has to get up at 530am monday, tuesday and wednesday mornings. On thursdays and fridaays she gets up at 6am. If she dont get enough sleep then shes a miserable lil brat and it takes forever to get her up and going in the mornings.
Momofmenagerie
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Holy crap! 9:30 for nine yr old??? My FOURTEEN yr old is in bed, lights off, never later than nine thirty!

From K - 2nd, bedtime was 7:30 b/c school starts at 7:15. ( I even reworked my work schedule so i had time with him before bed )

In third, he moved to eight , middle school was nine and now in high school, it's nine thirty and will be until the load of homework plus downtime no longer allows for that time to work. I am a huge stickler for bedtime. My three yr old goes down at eight because he wakes around 7:30-8. The twelve hours recommended.

Some moms are hyper vigilant about cars seat expiration dates, some are hyper vigilant about food choices.... I'm a bedtime nazi. I go by what the experts say on how much sleep a child needs per age/stage and there is no deviation. When there is, I'm out of sorts causing them to be even more out of sorts than they already are.
susannah2000
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Quoting BOOGIETHEBOOG:

My kids go to bed at 11:30 most nights all year. Unless they get into a lot of trouble that day.

11:30? You have heard that children need their sleep, right? Allowing kids to regularly stay up til nearly midnight even on school nights sounds negligent to me, and it's the kids who will suffer. They need proper sleep to grow healthily.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)