Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
What time do you think is an appropriate bed time for elementary age kids? My boys are 8 and 6 and go to need between 8 and 830 during the week. My baby sister had told me (and my kids) that I'm mean for making them go to bed that early. Her 9 year old step daughter and 4 year old son stay up until 930 most nights, and its not uncommon for it to be closer to 1030. I'm not asking what to do about my sister, she is a brat and that's pretty much all there is to it. But it did make me curious about other moms bedtime opinions.
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Replies (31-40):
BOOGIETHEBOOG
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting BOOGIETHEBOOG:

My kids go to bed at 11:30 most nights all year. Unless they get into a lot of trouble that day.

11:30? You have heard that children need their sleep, right? Allowing kids to regularly stay up til nearly midnight even on school nights sounds negligent to me, and it's the kids who will suffer. They need proper sleep to grow healthily.

I know what I am doing.  I do not need anbody to tell me how to raise m children.  My kids are homeschooled so they dont need to be in bed at 7:30 - 8:30.  My kids are very healthy.  The sleep their eight hours.  If my kids are in bed at 8 pm. They would be up at 4am.  I do not want my children up before the sun is up.  Even if I had them in a private school.  They will still be in bed at 11:30.

graceisamum
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:12 AM

My kids are homeschooled so they don't get up as early as schooled kids. My eldest three attend a sporty private school three days a week so heres a little chart of the bed times :)

Twins 12 yr olds: school nights: 10 get up at 8 and normal home ed nights 10:30 or 11pm depending on how tired they are and what their behaviour has been like. 

9year old: school nights 9pm get up at 8 and home ed nights 9:30-10 ish 

7year olds twins: home ed nights: 9-10 ish

5 year old: he tends to get tired earlier so we put him in bed around 7:30pm and he goes to sleep around 7:45

23 month old: 8ish every night as she's such a hyper baby... We don't have weekend late nights as they go to bed later then school kids... :) x

susannah2000
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting graceisamum:

My kids are homeschooled so they don't get up as early as schooled kids. My eldest three attend a sporty private school three days a week so heres a little chart of the bed times :)

Twins 12 yr olds: school nights: 10 get up at 8 and normal home ed nights 10:30 or 11pm depending on how tired they are and what their behaviour has been like. 

9year old: school nights 9pm get up at 8 and home ed nights 9:30-10 ish 

7year olds twins: home ed nights: 9-10 ish

5 year old: he tends to get tired earlier so we put him in bed around 7:30pm and he goes to sleep around 7:45

23 month old: 8ish every night as she's such a hyper baby... We don't have weekend late nights as they go to bed later then school kids... :) x

You have TWO sets of twins PLUS three other children? Forget the kids' bedtimes, YOU need to get some sleep!

lmax5
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:13 AM
After school ,after school activities,homework,dinner,baths etc my bunch are in bed and asleep by 8:30 and so am I.

I always hatedsleep growing up...now if I can be In bed by 8 I am there

only because I get up at least 3 times a night for the kids (mainly for the baby)
NDADanceMom
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:45 AM

My kids set their own bedtimes.  They can stay up as late as they want but they need to be out of bed and getting ready for school as soon as I tell them to get up.  If they refuse to get out of bed or they just park themself on the couch in a hazy stupor the next night they go to bed a half hour earlier.  I keep moving it up a half hour until they are alert first thing in the morning.  

My 11 year old usually is good with 9pm and my 14 year old at 10 pm

SP_Mama
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:48 AM

My 6 & 7 yr olds go to bed at 8:00 on school nights.

SuthernBelleo0o
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:10 AM

DS7 and DD1 are both in bed for 8:00pm DD is closer to 7:30pm, She has a pretty set schedule though. DS get to stay up till 9 on the weekends. during the summer its no later thaan 10. I'd rather my child get plenty sleep before school so he can concentrate better.

graceisamum
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Yeah, 2 sets of twins :O it's pretty crazy but all worth it :) luckily the kids are going to stay with their granny this weekend so I'll have some time to relax! :) 

annas_momma
by 1 Crazy Momma ♥ on Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:48 PM
My 6yo is in bed somewhere between 8-9pm every night. Unless we are doing something special on the weekend
KMAsMommy9182
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:08 PM

My 5 year old is in bed by 8pm most nights.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN