Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If you had your gallbladder removed

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:35 PM
  • 17 Replies

How do you handle fatty or greasy foods, like pizza? I had an emergency laparoscopic cholecystectomy two weeks ago and I am still figuring out what will give me diarrhea and what won't. Any insight will be greatly appreciated :)

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kirsten3
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Fatty foods are going to get u everytime. Stay away from them for a Long time. Your body needs time to heal. Took me a year before I was normal again.
vgmomof2grtkds
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Thank you for your insight. I have been doing good about not over-indulging in things like that, but then we had pizza for dinner. Needless to say I should avoid pizza!

Quoting Kirsten3:

Fatty foods are going to get u everytime. Stay away from them for a Long time. Your body needs time to heal. Took me a year before I was normal again.

thatgirl70
by Carin on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I can eat them fine, though they aren't something I have all the time. But, I had my gallbladder removed in the late 90's, so my body has had plenty of time to recover.

Indianamomto4
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Some people develop a condition called bile salt diarrhea after having their gall bladder removed. Their is a medication called cholestyrine powder that the person can take several times a day to control the diarrhea after eating by absorbing the bile salts no longer contained in the gall bladder which is then dumped into the intestines and thats what causes the diarrhea after eating. You can google the condition and the medicine and talk to your dr about it. This condition can be a nightmare for the person and make eating out or traveling awful with the person constantly running for the bathroom. Hope you get better :)

RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Had mine out a few years ago, never had an issue with anything I eat.
pedritosmama
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this

After about 4-6 months post-surgery, I was eating normally again.  During that 4-6 months post surgery, I didn't necessarily eat completely healthy, but I did avoid too much fatty food.  You don't have to become a vegan.  Just use your best judgement.  Know your limits.

mommykisses2010
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:47 PM
I had one about a year ago. The doctor told me to minimize the amount of greasy and fatty foods (like fried chicken) and pop. Well, i noticed that when i dont i get acid reflex. I think that by eating grilled, blaked foods and foods like that itll help ur stomach more.
Emmasmommy52212
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:48 PM
I had mine out june 20 of last year before my daughter turned a month old. Most of the time i eat whatever i want. Some days coffee gives me diarrhea other days it doesnt. But i wont give up my coffee just because of that. Ive just learned to drink it when im at home. Just depinds on the day what affects me. I havent had a problem for a few months now. I think everyone is different, i know a girl who has diarrhea after she eat anything and not long after.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DSamuels
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:58 AM
It does get better with time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamielynnef2
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:21 AM
I got mine out the end of june and after two weeks things got back to nirmal for me....I can eat a lot more variety of foods now than I could with my gb, I just can't eat as much.....my MIL wgo got hers out says she still deals wth that issue every time she eats anything. So I guess each person is dif. ...you just have to figure out what your limits are now....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)