Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Boyfriend wants to do tattoo's

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:12 AM
  • 15 Replies
My bf and I got to talking tonight, if he had the tools to do tattoos he would like to do it, I think he would really enjoy it. But I have no idea what I should get him. His birthday is next month and instead of going out to dinner, I'd rather get him what he needs to do tattoos can anyone help?
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Does he have formal training to do tattoos?  He needs a gun, needles, autoclave to sanitize things, the actual ink etc.

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:25 AM
Not really other then jail house tattoos. we were talking about doing apprenticeship, but he would like all of what you mentioned first. He even said exactly to a T what he all needed.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Does he have formal training to do tattoos?  He needs a gun, needles, autoclave to sanitize things, the actual ink etc.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:31 AM

I would look into paying for actual classes then before getting all the fancy equipment so he knows how to keep everyone safe.  We know that is not the goal in jail/prison when getting illegal tattoos.

Quoting Bookoholic:

Not really other then jail house tattoos. we were talking about doing apprenticeship, but he would like all of what you mentioned first. He even said exactly to a T what he all needed.

Quoting frndlyfn:

apple_baby
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:35 AM
Her him a book or two on tattooing (definitely one that talks about health safety and sanitation), research licencing laws locally if there are any and buy him a gun off Ebay and let him practice on oranges.
Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:52 AM
The only place in Seattle I can find is going to cost $8000. Which we can not afford at this time.

I have found an online/dvd school that is $300. But everything else is out of state.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would look into paying for actual classes then before getting all the fancy equipment so he knows how to keep everyone safe.  We know that is not the goal in jail/prison when getting illegal tattoos.

Quoting Bookoholic:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I googled a book a lot of what comes up is readable online, via the states website.

Quoting apple_baby:

Her him a book or two on tattooing (definitely one that talks about health safety and sanitation), research licencing laws locally if there are any and buy him a gun off Ebay and let him practice on oranges.

aritoyh
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:57 AM

He should look into actual training before getting his hands on a gun. 

Ninjascreenname
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 4:24 AM
2 moms liked this
He needs real training and an apprienceship before just buying stuff and claiming to be an artist. This isn't something you buy and just do- you train for hundreds of hours before you get hands on with a gun.
JennPearce
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:45 AM
Dh did an apprenticeship before he even started tattooing anyone. See if there are payment plan options for an apprentice. :) good luck!!
RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:49 AM
2 moms liked this

Get actual training first before buying the tools and possibly wasting the money and putting the health of other's at risk. No offense to him, but jail house tatoos are not professional tatoos. Yeah, it is expensive to get proper training, but if he is serious and wants to be good at it, he will find a way to work it out. $8000, sure beats getting sued if he botches up a tattoo, or makes someone sick.

No, I would not do online videos either. Maybe have him go talk to some real tattoo artists first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN