Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I NEED HELP-- MY Daughter is going to be crushed!!!!

Posted by on May. 7, 2007 at 10:54 AM
  • 16 Replies

My daughter is 13. Her rabbit had babies about 5 wks ago.  Yesterday we went out and 2 of her bunnies were dead.  Today I was watching them from the window and I noticed one of the babies were trying to nurse and momma wasn't letting it.  I also noticed only one baby was hopping around.  I went out and checked 3 more are dead.  Momma is not taking care of them.I took the last baby out and put it in a tote in the house.  I put a small bowl of food, a small bowl of water and a small bowl of warmed up milk in the tote. It does eat a little of rabbit food will it be ok.  What else should i do?
My daughter is going to be crushed when she gets home from school!

by on May. 7, 2007 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mama_2_3kids
by on May. 7, 2007 at 11:03 AM
I understand this situation! Here are some links.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/loss.html

http://www.rabbit.org/care/babies.html

The last link should help you know if you can save the little one!!

Let me know what happens and how your daughter is!

Take care & I'll keep you in my thoughts!
jf42739
by on May. 7, 2007 at 11:18 AM
eyedropper and milk (get your daughter involved)--if baby is too young, it may need milk more than rabbit food. (just like our babies)

good luck! 
MaMaCathy
by on May. 7, 2007 at 11:23 AM
Your post touched my heart because this is how my heart works in regards to my own kids.  It physically hurts to think they will hurt emotionally.  I know nothing about rabbits, but did see that one of the other ladies had some links for you.  Yea!!  I will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers, and am proud you try so hard with your children.  Take care, CAthy
Adnil
by on May. 7, 2007 at 11:28 AM
Call  your local vet, let them know what is happening..ask them what you should do...and when your daughter gets home, let her know what is happening..she will be crushed..but getting her involved will  help her too..My best to you...

Linda
Mammaofthree369
by on May. 7, 2007 at 11:58 AM
I may beable to help if i knew how old the baby bunny is! I raise rabbit and have for about 8 years now!
momonthego247
by on May. 7, 2007 at 12:20 PM

Quoting Mammaofthree369:

I may beable to help if i knew how old the baby bunny is! I raise rabbit and have for about 8 years now!

The bunny is about 5 wks old. I left you a message.
momonthego247
by on May. 7, 2007 at 12:21 PM

Quoting Mama_2_3kids:

I understand this situation! Here are some links.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/loss.html

http://www.rabbit.org/care/babies.html

The last link should help you know if you can save the little one!!

Let me know what happens and how your daughter is!

Take care & I'll keep you in my thoughts!

Thank you the first one had a place where i could email them. I'm just waiting for them to email me back. If they do.
guam_mama
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2007 at 2:15 PM
The same thing happened to me as a child. A friend of mine gave me two hampsters. They had about 30 babies and I thought it was fantastic. Well little by little the mother ate them all. When I came home from school one day to find a baby hampster head sitting in the middle of my cage I cracked. I cried and screamed for my father and he just sat there and hugged me till I felt better. After that we agreed to sell the hampsters to someone else. It will be sad at first but if you talk to her about life and death and how it affects all humans and animals it may help her learn and cope a little better.
AlabamaMom2
by on May. 7, 2007 at 2:24 PM
I don't know much about rabbits but I called my dad.  Daddy said call the vet and he'll be able to tell you what kind of milk to get and how to feed it with and eyedropper.  Let your daughter help.  Daddy has hand raised several rabbits, along with kittens and chicks and just about everything imaginable.Frown
Julie4
by on May. 7, 2007 at 2:32 PM
You should go to your local pet store and get a feeding syringe.  Give the baby rabbit warm milk in the syringe three times a day.  Also crush up the rabbit pellets and put in some leafy vegetables, lettuce or spinach, you can crush up carrots in a blender or just give it the canned ones smushed up through the syringe.  It should do ok.  I worked in a lot of pet stores in my day.  Hope this helps. JULIE
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)