Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I feel like a bad mom today!!!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM
  • 9 Replies

No I do not feel as if i neglect my kids all the time but I am a SAHM and today i got my 2 yr old sons virus. so I asked my 6 yr old DD to help her brothers into the house from the car because i had to lay down or pass out and DH was already at work. Is it wrong that I asked my 6 yr old to help that little bit I feel guilty because I do not want her to think it is job from now on..

by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
NDADanceMom
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:54 PM
When my kids were 3, 5 and 10 i got h1n1 and thought i was going to die. Literally. The 2 older ones are diabetic and have to eat regularly and i could not feed them. While dh was at work my friends and family took turns coming over to care for them. Even when it was a matter of life and death i could not take care of my kids.
balow929
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:58 PM

My family isnt very supportive unless it involves money and DHs parents are older and cant deal with the youngest who even while sick is like the energizer bunny fed a constant diet of pixie sticks.

Ktina11
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think so. I ask for help from all my kids at different times. I try to teach that we work as a family. Ods (6) helps yds (3) turn on his light or get toys out often. With three boys I can't always jump to what they need immediately. I try to show them that there are others in the house to help. It is never their "job", but it is good community skills.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pickle521
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

You needed help, and you gave your daughter an opportunity to help out Mommy - that's a good lesson!  It doesn't sound like a "regular" thing and I don't think it's anything to feel bad about

susannah2000
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Thre is no reason in the world that kids can't be expected to help in whatever way they can help. They aren't supposed to just be entitled little royals being waited on, but active members of the family, helping each other. It seems very odd that you actually feel guilty merely for asking your 6 year old to walk her brothers into the house one time.  You do know that achievement brings empowerment and good self esteem? Why would it hurt your daughter even if that WAS her job "all the time?" I see too many kids who don't feel that they have to lift a finger at home or for anyone else,  and too many parents who feel that way.  I also know what kids are capable of, from very young ages.

artandlearning
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Don't be so harsh on yourself. I don't see you having done anything wrong. Getting kids to help instills a sense of responsibility in them. How we come across to our kids is what's important. There's nothing wrong in having asked your DD to get her brothers from the car, especially because her mamma was unwell. I am sure she must have felt like a big girl her mamma can depend on, and felt good about it.

3_girls_86
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I have my 7 year old unbuckle her 3 year old sister every time we go somewhere. I don't think it's bad that you had your order one help the younger one. .
ShannonC94
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:57 AM

It teaches the older one a little responsibility....a good lesson, but not something I would rely on hugs

MrsAmandaC3
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:39 AM

I don't think your a bad mom at all or did anything wrong. Kids love to help out mom,and knowing they are their for you and siblings it makes it even easier. ( I always helped my mom out in everyway she needed me.the most when it came to my sister) Times like that is how your family grows closer.its what's going to keep your family together and strong. Being there for one another is what family is all about. If we can't be there in times of need how could you enjoy the loving caring times together.i hope this helps and feel better! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN