Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Its that time of year again: Why schools ban peanuts/peanut butter.....EDIT

Banning a food may come as a shock to some parents. Msybe they have never heard of a peanut allergy before . Or maybe they were not aware of the rising cases of this allergy. Well im here to clear some things up! I have been living with this allergy all my life . I almost lost my life at age two when my uncle gave me a bite of his Snickers Bar . Growing up I only knew of one other person having this allergy. I was a freak! lol Peanut allergies are one of the most deadly allergies. If ingested it can cause airways to close up in a matter of seconds. The person suffocates to death. You can have other reactions without comsuming peanuts which include but is not limited to hives and trouble breathing and or asthma attack. Peanut allergies are on the rise. They really started to rise about 10 yrs ago. When I started subbing I was shocked to find peanut free classrooms and peanut free tables ! Even with these measures I, as an adult, still came into contact with peanuts on a number of occasions! I could have come in contact with door handles, railings, faucets, pencil sharpeners and so on. I had one student accidentally spit in my eye....that was not fun! He obviously had pb because my eye was swollen shut! So you have to understand why schools take these measures. THEY dont want the liability! Schools have many bans/rules for the safety of the children. Rules /laws are just a part of life .Teaching children to respect rules and authority is very important! Teaching them to respect others is too!

EDIT: I have to add that I didn't see any schools with bans on peanuts for the whole entire school. I have however worked at many schools with peanut free lunch tables and some classes with specific bans. There has always been more than one child with a peanut allergy per school. And that was about 6 years ago. I have to imagine if there is a complete ban for the whole school there must be a high number of kids with the peanut allergy. I also want to add that I'm not supporting an all out ban. Personally if my baby ends up with a peanut allergy I will most likely home school until he is older. Like I said before...its the SCHOOLS/DISTRICT that make this decision. Rules suck. Laws suck. But its life

by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Replies (11-20):
kcook55
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I get why schools want to ban certain foods not just peanuts/nuts. last week i went to open house my dd has food allergies shes allergic to milk, wheat and 100% juice. The teacher has put a ban of wheat products like play doh in her classroom to avoid my dd from getting a allergic reaction shes in kindergarten. I also spoke with the school nurse and said i should like to my dd dr about a epi pen for just in case. She said last yeat they had a little girl that was allergic to peanuts and ate peanutbetter knowing what would happen she didn't have a epi pen and they had to call 911. She told me if i choose to keep the current action plan and the need comes up they will call 911 and get her medical help first asap than i will be called informed my dd had been sent to the hospital.

abecee
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Why would any parent trust an overburdened school system to keep their child safe from a peanut allergy?  They can't keep guns out of schools, how can they keep a peanut out of schools? 
It's ludicrus to expect an entire population of other students and teachers to accomodate one child's allergy.

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I am not worried. If my child had been in this situation, I would protect him as much as I could without involving others around him. I would start EARLY with him personally about having none of the food that could kill him, I would ensure an EPI pen is available to him at all times, JUST IN CASE. I will not isolate him or infringe on others because of a fear of what might happen.

nanny901
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with you! 

No children DO NOT NEED TO BE HOME SCHOOLED. Food allergies are protected under the ADA . So sorry babe they are here to stay. Some of you seriously lack simple compassion. Are you that poor or lazy that you can't slap some lunch meat between some bread if there is a ban? Our school classrooms are nut free. They can bring anything they want for lunch. Kids that eat peanut butter wash hands. I have never minded not sending nuts, but I guess my parents raised me right. I actually care about my fellow human being. 

Not eating nuts while at school should not even be an issue, but I do understand picky kids!

HIJKLM
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Peanut allergies are estimated to affect 0.4-0.6% of the population of the United States while seafood allergies affect approximately 2.3% of the population

So why the peanut hype but no one is complaining about seafood?
Hazelnutkin
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Not a lot of seafood at school?

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:47 PM

ok what about other allergies though?

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Most schools I worked at had more than one child with a peanut allergy. I've never heard of a whole school being peanut free...just classrooms. They had peanut free tables in the lunch room. Do you know of a school.that is peanut free for one student?

Quoting ditsyjo:

I totally understand a classroom ban if there is a child with an allergy but the whole school... That would be like me demanding a school wide ban of anything with possible sulfate because my daughter is allergic. It is still over kill

have I personally encountered one ...no. I have read articles pro and con around specific schools that were doing it.I totally understand allergen free class rooms and lunch tables
Pnukey
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Ah, yes. I just had this talk with DS's teacher. He (ds) is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and coconuts. His class is nut-free every year. The rest of the school is not. He sits at the peanut free table. There is another child in his class who has a more severe peanut allergy as well. Thankfully, his teacher has been to this rodeo a few times and knows what to do.

Pnukey
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Quoting HIJKLM:

Peanut allergies are estimated to affect 0.4-0.6% of the population of the United States while seafood allergies affect approximately 2.3% of the population

So why the peanut hype but no one is complaining about seafood?

I've been a teacher for a long time. I don't see anyone take seafood to school. Even other teachers don't want to stink up the lounge with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)