Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Its that time of year again: Why schools ban peanuts/peanut butter.....EDIT

Banning a food may come as a shock to some parents. Msybe they have never heard of a peanut allergy before . Or maybe they were not aware of the rising cases of this allergy. Well im here to clear some things up! I have been living with this allergy all my life . I almost lost my life at age two when my uncle gave me a bite of his Snickers Bar . Growing up I only knew of one other person having this allergy. I was a freak! lol Peanut allergies are one of the most deadly allergies. If ingested it can cause airways to close up in a matter of seconds. The person suffocates to death. You can have other reactions without comsuming peanuts which include but is not limited to hives and trouble breathing and or asthma attack. Peanut allergies are on the rise. They really started to rise about 10 yrs ago. When I started subbing I was shocked to find peanut free classrooms and peanut free tables ! Even with these measures I, as an adult, still came into contact with peanuts on a number of occasions! I could have come in contact with door handles, railings, faucets, pencil sharpeners and so on. I had one student accidentally spit in my eye....that was not fun! He obviously had pb because my eye was swollen shut! So you have to understand why schools take these measures. THEY dont want the liability! Schools have many bans/rules for the safety of the children. Rules /laws are just a part of life .Teaching children to respect rules and authority is very important! Teaching them to respect others is too!

EDIT: I have to add that I didn't see any schools with bans on peanuts for the whole entire school. I have however worked at many schools with peanut free lunch tables and some classes with specific bans. There has always been more than one child with a peanut allergy per school. And that was about 6 years ago. I have to imagine if there is a complete ban for the whole school there must be a high number of kids with the peanut allergy. I also want to add that I'm not supporting an all out ban. Personally if my baby ends up with a peanut allergy I will most likely home school until he is older. Like I said before...its the SCHOOLS/DISTRICT that make this decision. Rules suck. Laws suck. But its life

by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Replies (31-33):
ajdahd13
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Well, for me, I feel like if something as simple as not sending my child in with a peanut butter sandwhich will save a child's life, or even from having to go to the hospital, it's worth it. I don't think children should be made to feel like freaks, or excluded from things, becuase of something they can't control. 

theresaphilly
by Theresa on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:11 PM

The school district where I live tried to do the same thing, parents protested and the parents won. Their will be no banning of foods in the school. Children with allergies can eat in the lunch room, office, or outside.

KCee8
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter's elementary doesn't ban peanuts but advises parents to avoid bringing in any kinds of nuts foods to school events. For bake sales, there's people assigned to inspect all baked goods to make sure they are nuts free.

I never knew the seriousness of peanut allergy until one parent volunteer explained to me what happens to her son if he eats food that has peanuts. Just like how you described them. I think we should be compassionate to others suffering with food allergies. It really doesn't hurt to not bring in certain foods to schools. My daughter's 2nd grade class had 1 student who was allergic to peanuts, 1 was allergic to eggs, and another was allergic to wheat. Whenever there was a party, we had to be extremely careful not to give the wrong food to these kids. It wasn't much troublesome and those kids parents were so grateful.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)