Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My sons dream is breaking my heart

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:30 PM
  • 61 Replies
My 6 year old son is obsessed with air planes, especially jets. He will run up to anyone in an armed forces uniform and ask if they fly a jet. He will tell anyone that listens that he is going to join the air force and fly jets. There is just one problem, he had an accident when he was 2 and it left him with little to no vision in his lefty eye. The muscles of his eye were damaged beyond repair. His eye is permanently dialated. It breaks my heart to know that he will never be able to fly his jet plane for the air force. A friend told me I should tell him his dream will not happen now, before he gets any older. I don't want to break his heart, but I also don't want him to set his heart on dream that can't happen. What would you do?
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM
21 moms liked this
His dream will most likely change as he grows. I would let him have this. Who knows, if he still has this dream when he is older he may end up working on them, designing them, or something. Don't kill your little ones dreams.
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:37 PM
I would wait ... He's six so he will probably change his mind a dozen times before he is grown...
Mommylovesdada
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:39 PM
When I was a kid I wanted to be an astronaut. My dad crushed my dream by telling me it was dangerous and everything I would have to go through. I don't think he meant it in a mean way, he was just telling me the reality. Now, I have no desire to be an astronaut, but there was no harm in letting a young me have that dream.
SnapIt
by Movin' on up on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Hes still young
Their dreams will change a few times
If this one continues when hes older to understand better he will find out.

Kids are always changing what they want to do when they grow up.
Very few end up doing what they wanted as a kid
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM
2 moms liked this
Also most kids have an impossible dream at least 1 time in their life . My six year old currently wants to be a knight and my almost 8 year old wants to be a spy hehehe. I'm not going to tell either if them it's not going to happen. They will figure it out
ChicatSixty
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:52 PM
3 moms liked this

You know what? he has 12 years before he can even enlist. You have no idea what changes will happen in the world between now and then. Encourage his interest in planes (which might just as well be an interest in dinosaurs, polar bears or marine biology). He may get interested in the engineering part of jets or the CAD aspect of designing them.

Let him have a passion and interest---there are lots of people who love to sing but aren't going to win American Idol. Lots of little girls taking dance lessons who will never dance on Broadway.

MandaMom23
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I say let him be a kid and have his dreams.  He has time to make decisions when he is older but why crush a dream now when he has so much of life to explore?

xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:05 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting RheaF:

His dream will most likely change as he grows. I would let him have this. Who knows, if he still has this dream when he is older he may end up working on them, designing them, or something. Don't kill your little ones dreams.

And maybe, just maybe, they will have come up with a way to fix his eye by then.

MommyBee12808
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:07 PM
2 moms liked this
Let him have his dream. When my daughter was 4, her dream was to be a tree so she could shade the earth and give kids apples. And now, a year later, her dream is an artist.
mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:07 PM

My son turned seven in June and wants to be a pirate.  Let him have his dream.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)