Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

IUD...

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:01 PM
  • 39 Replies

Has anyone had/have one?

how was/is your experience on it?

by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blutansy
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Yes, I have the Mirena and I LOVE it. I don't have to think about birth control at all. It can be really crampy getting it inserted, but it is quick.

chaylynn
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:06 PM

have you heard any bad stories about it?

Quoting blutansy:

Yes, I have the Mirena and I LOVE it. I don't have to think about birth control at all. It can be really crampy getting it inserted, but it is quick.

EmilyG10
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I have the copper IUD I like it... Sometimes my husband feels it when were having sex which hurts like hell for the both of us but other then that it lasts for 10 years and havn't had any other problems with it.

skittlebeans88
by Traci on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Good question! I've been thinking about which one to get as well. I'm leaning more towards the paraguard because it's hormone free, which means no weight gain.
blutansy
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Nothing first-hand. I know there can be a lot of side effects (check the Mirena website), but I know a lot of women who have it and I have never heard any complaints from any of them. Many of them say their period is next to nothing now, and others said they have lost weight because of it.

Quoting chaylynn:

Quoting blutansy:

kidlover2
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:14 PM
I am getting mine removed because I really dislike it. If it was just the weight gain, I could probably live with it because not having a period is a nice perk. But....the migraines, exhaustion, and acne is enough to take it out. It's like the never ending first trimester pregnancy from hell because it is forever.

Quoting chaylynn:

Quoting blutansy:

zedmai
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I had a copper IUD for several years, I enjoyed the hormone free aspect of it and that is it is relatively maintenance free. I did however get pregnant with it in place (not so fun, but I acknowledge I am statistical anomaly and no method is 100%. Still imagine my surprise!). My husband could also feel the strings poke him occasionally during sex which was painful for him but happened rarely (I don't think this happens with most people however)

krazymom2boyz
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM
I am TOTALLY and COMPLETELY unhappy and against the Mirena. I had it in and it was miserable. Migraines, acne, cramps every month, and on and on and on. However, my experience is nothing compared to my sisters. She ended up having 3 separate miscarriages. One of them really, really ugly. I would say run, don't walk as far from that thing as you can.
dreamarrow
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:12 PM
I had the mirena and hated it. I had horrible cramping and sex was usually painful. On the plus side I didn't have a period for the six months it was in :)
Tipsen
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I just got mirena took out. I really loved it but we are now ttc. I had no side effects. I had no period for over 3 years too
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN