Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

field trips

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM
  • 19 Replies

My son called his dad last night like he does 2-3 nights a week he was so excited telling him about his field trips to a baseball game and the museum of science that we are going to with our church. His father got mad and told me that I should let him have the ticket and go with our church and I told him no. The tickets are exclusively for our church and the field trip is offered through are church. I did tell him he is able to take him to a game or the museum of science on his time. He said he cannot afford it and that I should pay for the trip. I told him absolutely not that if he cannot afford it then he cannot go. Did I handle this well. 

by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
JMO but if he can't afford to do these things with your son, I believe the right thing to do would be to let him pay for them through the church's trips if they're cheaper. Even if he doesn't belong to your church, your son does so it's not like strangers are joining the trip.

As for saying you should pay for him to go. I don't agree that's your responsibility but if you can afford it and it would make your son happy to go with his dad, I would do it once or twice. The bottom line for me would be DS's happiness and if that meant sharing a baseball game or museum trip with his dad, so be it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellysp6637
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I have to agree with this.

What's the harm in seeing if your son's dad can purchase a ticket (presumably they are cheaper) through the church and allowing him to tag along???? 

Both of you kind of sound young and immature. 

Quoting coolmommy2x:

JMO but if he can't afford to do these things with your son, I believe the right thing to do would be to let him pay for them through the church's trips if they're cheaper. Even if he doesn't belong to your church, your son does so it's not like strangers are joining the trip.

As for saying you should pay for him to go. I don't agree that's your responsibility but if you can afford it and it would make your son happy to go with his dad, I would do it once or twice. The bottom line for me would be DS's happiness and if that meant sharing a baseball game or museum trip with his dad, so be it.

AAP1988
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM

The church won't allow it the tickets and field trips are only available to people who go to the church. No I should not be responsible to pay for him to bring our son somewhere. My job is to be the mom not mom and dad and pay for dad to bring him out. 

Quoting coolmommy2x:

AAP1988
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM

In my post it states that TICKETS are just available for people who go to the church thats not something i have control over I don't sell the tickets. Also I am far from immature. I support both my kids with minimal help from the fathers. Plus I go to college, I run the fundraising team at my church, plus I am on the worship team. I think I am far from immature. 

Quoting kellysp6637:

What's the harm in seeing if your son's dad can purchase a ticket (presumably they are cheaper) through the church and allowing him to tag along???? 

Quoting coolmommy2x:

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Oh Lord.

Parenting classes would be a better thing to spend money on for you two.

AAP1988
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:39 AM

No I don't need parenting classes. I think I am a great mom I take care of both of my kids on my own with VERY little help from my oldest sons father. My youngest sons father helps more. Plus I go to school. So I think I am doing pretty well for myself thank you.

I get frustrated with oldest sons dad because he cannot afford to do things with our son but he can afford new outfits for himself and to get his hair dyed but when it comes to our child he cannot afford it. 

Quoting momdoes:

Oh Lord.

kellysp6637
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Please, I know how this game works......you want to look like the "good parent" that can do something fun with your son that the father can't do.  Most churches wouldn't object to a offering a spare ticket to the father if he offered to pay for it. 

Kudos to you for providing for your child with minimal help....I was a single mom for years before I remarried....but I also know there is alot to be said for being the bigger person and putting aside your feelings to try to give your child an experience he can remember with both of you.

Quoting AAP1988:

In my post it states that TICKETS are just available for people who go to the church thats not something i have control over I don't sell the tickets. Also I am far from immature. I support both my kids with minimal help from the fathers. Plus I go to college, I run the fundraising team at my church, plus I am on the worship team. I think I am far from immature. 

Quoting kellysp6637:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM

You could be June freaking Cleaver for all I know but I dont care. I read your posts and I am telling you, your child/ren will benefit if you all go to parenting classes.

Quoting AAP1988:

No I don't need parenting classes. I think I am a great mom I take care of both of my kids on my own with VERY little help from my oldest sons father. My youngest sons father helps more. Plus I go to school. So I think I am doing pretty well for myself thank you.

I get frustrated with oldest sons dad because he cannot afford to do things with our son but he can afford new outfits for himself and to get his hair dyed but when it comes to our child he cannot afford it. 

Quoting momdoes:

Oh Lord.

LAXmom21
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with the other ladies. If you are that involved with the church they most likely wouldn't mind dad going if he pays for his ticket.
Does it make you feel better knowing you can go and dad can't? While I don't think you should pay for dad to do it, I DO think you are being spiteful in not allowing him to go with the church group.
It's supposed to be what's best for YOUR Son, not what makes you look better than dad!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AAP1988
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM

The church said NO. They said only available to people go to the church if they say that I am not going to argue with them. I am the bigger person. There are lots of things he can do with our son that doesn't cost money if he cannot afford it. It's the quality time spent with the child. 

Quoting kellysp6637:

Please, I know how this game works......you want to look like the "good parent" that can do something fun with your son that the father can't do.  Most churches wouldn't object to a offering a spare ticket to the father if he offered to pay for it. 

Kudos to you for providing for your child with minimal help....I was a single mom for years before I remarried....but I also know there is alot to be said for being the bigger person and putting aside your feelings to try to give your child an experience he can remember with both of you.

Quoting AAP1988:

Quoting kellysp6637:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)