Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Booster seat?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM
  • 63 Replies
My husband very rarely takes my son in his car. When he does he is normally dropping him off at the sitter (maybe 1 x a month). My husband has had his own carseat till this point but my sons head is now over the shell. Well instead of buying him another harnessed seat to maybe get used 12 times in a year I was thinking of getting a booster. Is this safe? He is almost 4, 40" and about 30lbs
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tyrelsmom
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
If his shoulders are still below the top harness slot and the tips of his ears below the top of the shell, he still fits. I would not get a booster for a kid that small. They should be at least 4 years old AND 40 lbs before using a booster.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Quoting tyrelsmom:

If his shoulders are still below the top harness slot and the tips of his ears below the top of the shell, he still fits. I would not get a booster for a kid that small. They should be at least 4 years old AND 40 lbs before using a booster.

Exactly. 

Your child doesn't fit the minimum requirement for a booster seat. 

There are inexpensive seats that would work for him though. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Tipsen
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM
His shoulders arm exactly level with the top slot

Quoting tyrelsmom:

momto3infl
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

For that little use I would say it is. 

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this
The absolute minimum is 4 years and 40 lbs. It doesn't matter if he was in it just one time for a 5 minute trip... it could still result in an accident.
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM
So it's somehow safer if he isn't in it as often? I'm pretty sure ifnimnam accident it would be just as unsafe.

Quoting momto3infl:

tyrelsmom
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this
He still fits right now, then, but he needs a new seat as soon as possible. Evenflo Maestro and Harmony Defender are inexpensive harness seats that will fit for a good long while and can be used as a booster eventually as well.

Quoting Tipsen:

His shoulders arm exactly level with the top slot

Quoting tyrelsmom:

momto3infl
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM

My kids were in boosters by this weight and age.  My kids are older and I dont follow the current trend on this-so I go by what I did with state laws when my kids were younger and in seats.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

So it's somehow safer if he isn't in it as often? I'm pretty sure ifnimnam accident it would be just as unsafe.

Quoting momto3infl:

alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:16 PM

In most states it is illegal to put them in a booster until they are 4 yrs old AND 40lbs. 

Quoting momto3infl:

My kids were in boosters by this weight and age.  My kids are older and I dont follow the current trend on this-so I go by what I did with state laws when my kids were younger and in seats.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting momto3infl:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Car seat safety isn't a trend... it's information more readily available based on the laws of physics.

I am continually baffled at people who refuse to take their kids loves seriously. You love and care for them yet you live by "that won't happen to me."

Quoting momto3infl:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting momto3infl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)