Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Nurse Present During Botched Kidney Transplant Sues Over Termination

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM
  • 2 Replies

Sunday August 4, 2013 8:48 AM
UPDATED: Sunday August 4, 2013 8:50 AM

TOLEDO, Ohio - A veteran nurse present during a botched kidney transplant at an Ohio hospital last summer has sued for wrongful termination.

A lawsuit filed Friday in Columbus says Melanie LeMay was suspended, then fired, after a different nurse accidentally threw away a viable kidney as medical waste during the procedure last August.

After the error, the hospital apologized and put an administrator and two nurses on paid leave. LeMay alleges her subsequent termination was based on violation of policies and procedures not in place on the day of the operation.

LeMay was a 30-year employee at the University of Toledo Medical Center who was months from retirement. She is seeking a $25,000 judgment against the hospital.

A university spokesman says it would be inappropriate to comment on pending litigation.

by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Trying to wrap my head around what kind of policy would have to be in effect during this procedure, and her to have broke, to warrant her termination. As far as I know, there are a shit ton of policies and procedures and CHECKS to be done first, during and after for such a procedure already in place at most hospitals, esp, this one. I would also love toknow what has happened to the nurse she says did throw away kidney.

Once, many years ago, a nurse at a  nursing home I worked at, tried to pin and resident fall on me. I was an aid at that time but I was no where near her or the resident when the resident fell. I was in dining room feeding. I walked in the next day to find that the home administrator had put ME on leave. Hell no. I threatened to sue their asses off on behalf of the resident if that shit was not overturned and immediately! Needless to say, I was put back on schedule within two hours but left the job on my own accord two months later!

luvtohunt
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:48 PM
This is absolutely nuts to me that this could happen, but I would be livid if I was fired when I wasnt the one responsible.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)