Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would You Hire.. *edited*

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:47 PM
  • 42 Replies

Someone to clean your house? A couple days a week?

I'm 19 yrs old & 16 weeks pregnant (would it be in bad taste not to mention pregnancy to customers?), and y'all should know it's extremely hard to get a job while pregnant.. I was thinking of starting a little cleaning and organizing service for the small ass town I live in.. It's alot of elderly, or people with good money who drive down to houston for work (which would mean they have very busy days and no time to clean).

Also, I would put it in WRITING no one is responsible for injuries or liabilty but myself.

I was thinking $6/hr or $20/day depending on how many times you needed your house cleaned a week. I have my own transportation, just supply the cleaning supplies for me.. Is that fair? I'm not trying to make a career out of it, just extra money to help save up or buy some baby items.  Every dollar counts.

I would : Vaccuum, clean dishes/kitchens, organize, sweep & mop floors, make beds, and maybe charge $2 for any special requests (washing and folding laundry, for example).

Would you do this? Why, or why not?

Is this fair? Should I add anything thing? What would you change?

I'm asking your advice so I'll be more appealing to real customers, thanks!

Please no harsh comments, thanks for ypur input.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amy_M
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Personally, no I wouldn't, but I am a sahm.  

If I were in the market for a cleaning lady I would not hire a pregnant woman though.  I wouldnt be able to count on you for very long, since at the end of your pregnancy you probably won't be able to do much deep cleaning.  

reche1978
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I would hire someone but honestly I wouldnt feel comfortable hiring someone pregnant and in my area it would cost double that just FYI...

pamelax3
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I woul love to have someone clean my house, however IMO it is too much of a liability

Megan11587
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Not a pregnant woman. I would be worried about injuries and being liable
corpswife523
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I wouldn't make anyone responsible/liable for my injuries. Unless, you have like a big attack dog... I could put that in writing. But I wouldn't assume anyone would need me full time, just a part time gig for extra cash as well as keeping me busy.

corpswife523
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Out of curiosity, would you sign a contract stating you were not liable for anything that happened while I'm on your property? I'm wondering if people would be up for it.

Quoting pamelax3:

I woul love to have someone clean my house, however IMO it is too much of a liability

pamelax3
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:18 PM

If it was with the right person, I probably would consider that.

Quoting corpswife523:

Out of curiosity, would you sign a contract stating you were not liable for anything that happened while I'm on your property? I'm wondering if people would be up for it.

Quoting pamelax3:

corpswife523
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for your input, I feel this is my last option, so it means alot!

Quoting pamelax3:

If it was with the right person, I probably would consider that.

Quoting corpswife523:

Quoting pamelax3:

GirlieGal76
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I don't know that I would freely offer the information that you're pregnant. Because you're so young people might ask what your continuing plans are, ie are you going to go to college, but unless directly asked if you are pregnant then I wouldn't say anything.

Although your prices are very low, I personally wouldn't hire a maid who didn't bring their own cleaning supplies. I've never had to supply my own and I think it would be better for you in the long run if you just had your own. If you have a client who runs out of window cleaner and you remind them to purchase some, but they forget, then you'll have to come up with another way to wash their windows/mirrors the next time you're there. I think it's just less headache if you have everything with you and again, I don't know that I would hire someone who didn't bring their own. You could also make your own cleaners for pennies and use that as a marketing ploy to say that you use all natural ingredients.

GirlieGal76
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I forgot to add that I don't know if it would make a difference whether or not you had a contract saying that the homeowner isn't liable. Just because you have a contract for something doesn't mean that it can't be overturned. People go to theme/water parks every day and when purchasing a ticket you're agreeing to not hold the park liable for injury. They get sued all the time though, because there are ways around in every contract ever written. As a business owner, having a contract means close to nothing to me unfortunately.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)