Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

night terror or no????

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM
  • 5 Replies

my ds1 will be 5yrs in 3 wks. he is prone to anxiety & he goes to summer school pt in the mornings & camp  after school which he likes ..

its a long day & lots of new scary things but he seems really happy & is trying new things.. not sure if this is related or not  to tonight bc he;s been  going to school  & camp for 4 wks already..

anyway, so tonight he waked up screaming & crying for daddy.. i wlak in dh follows up quickly after me he is all upset crying   he said  " bad dream" and then cried more.. we said its ok, you're safe, you're home..  all the soothing  stuff we could think of & turned up the lights a tad to  show him he;s home & safe & offered him a sip of water.. he seemed up  but not really didnt relaly make much eye contact & say anything at all he layed back down but  VERY restless & whining & seemingly in a state of anxiety..  he sorta calmed down so we left.. later  he does it again but this time he was saying things like " wheres my spot? where do i sit? i dont know where to sit!!!  then cries tosses turns  we gently tried to wake him & say  its just a dream  but this time he wasnt  as responsive he looked at us & hugged dh & said daddy.. and looked at me and put his head back down closed his eyes but cried again tossed more &  started again crying saying NO NO NO i dont want that NO NO i want my friends, i want to see grandma & grandpa, no this is boring, i dont like that..  and a few things inaudible too.. it just seemed like alot on his mind or nonsense..

i cnat figure out if this was a night terror or a bad dream.. we never had this BUT my dh was a sleep walker as a kid & they say  it can  be related  its in the same family as night terrors ..

anyone deal with this? it was so sad =(

by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Sounds like a massive amount of anxiety to me. The only way to know for sure is to pull him out of whatever is causing so much stress. If that doesn't help then maybe a doctor. 2 of my sons and myself talk in my sleep. I've been known to scream myself awake. Mostly with nightmares and and those occur mostly when I am under A LOT of stress. The boys just chatter into a mumble and that's it. Nothin bad. My nephews had traumatic childhood histories and my youngest nephew did that. Enough counseling to get rid of the stress and I hear he's doing good now.
GoldenLinds
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Definitely not a night terror. Those are clasdified by unresponsiveness anf really just not being awake yet anf then when they do wake up there is no memory of the "dream". Sounds like a lucid dream. Where one dream can bleed into wakefulness and continue once back asleep again. If he was fine during the day I'd say not to worry, tgat its just a way of coping and its healthy now and then but.... if he has anxiety issues alreafy then it might be a sign he needs more help coping. Sometimes it just takes time to afjust to a new routine and sometimes you havr to decide the routine isny working. Only you and dh and ds anf a therapist can decide. To help with the sleep issues though I would try a cool gel pack in the pillow case and aromatherapy. It should help him reach a deeper dreamless sleep quicker.
Imjustinsmommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:22 AM

he definatly gets anxious at times .  but school is hard for him.. he has some delays & needs to  go to summer school for  ot & pt & speech so he does things all morning that  are challenging  for him.. thats why we  put him in camp so he can run & play after & have fun which  he is!  he does new scary things like  zip lines & huge slides and all but then he isnt scared after he tries.. and he is actually been showing signs   of being more confidant  bc of that.. so idk why tonight he had such a hard night. he seemed find today after school/camp. ate dinner,  played  had a bath & was fine  idk it was weird. im hoping its a fluke.  2 boys are sick in his group & he sounded a bit horse tonight  so maybe he is run down or getting a  virus .. thx for your advice.  im glad your nephews are ok now.

Quoting Rachael-Dawn:

Sounds like a massive amount of anxiety to me. The only way to know for sure is to pull him out of whatever is causing so much stress. If that doesn't help then maybe a doctor. 2 of my sons and myself talk in my sleep. I've been known to scream myself awake. Mostly with nightmares and and those occur mostly when I am under A LOT of stress. The boys just chatter into a mumble and that's it. Nothin bad. My nephews had traumatic childhood histories and my youngest nephew did that. Enough counseling to get rid of the stress and I hear he's doing good now.

Imjustinsmommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:25 AM

but he didnt appear " awake" he was mostly ( the 2cd time) wiht his eyes  closed or 1/2  open & closed but not relaly lookign at us.. &  talking liek i said or crying.talking it was all over the place. so sad. if his  schoool  is bothering him.. i cant stop it.. he needs services for ot, pt & speech & its almost over anyway in 2 wks i know its hard for him and stressful but he;s actually been  doing amazing this summer & happier & less anxious so it was odd he never did his before. idk like i siad above 2 boys in his group are sick & he sounded a bit horse tonight a bit maybe he is coming down with something & was run down idk.. thx though

Quoting GoldenLinds:

Definitely not a night terror. Those are clasdified by unresponsiveness anf really just not being awake yet anf then when they do wake up there is no memory of the "dream". Sounds like a lucid dream. Where one dream can bleed into wakefulness and continue once back asleep again. If he was fine during the day I'd say not to worry, tgat its just a way of coping and its healthy now and then but.... if he has anxiety issues alreafy then it might be a sign he needs more help coping. Sometimes it just takes time to afjust to a new routine and sometimes you havr to decide the routine isny working. Only you and dh and ds anf a therapist can decide. To help with the sleep issues though I would try a cool gel pack in the pillow case and aromatherapy. It should help him reach a deeper dreamless sleep quicker.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Aug. 6, 2013 at 3:36 AM

I am not sure about a night terror.  I would agree that he is experiencing a lot of anxiety for some reason.  Maybe separation anxiety from going to camp.  ???  I am not sure.  My youngest step son had night terrors.  He would scream and cry for hours.  We could not wake him up at all.  He was a kicker too, it freaking hurt like hell.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)