Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

OH MY GAWD! MY BOOOOBIE!

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:17 PM
  • 7 Replies
I don't know how much more I can take! BF has been torture for the past 6 months with lip tie, two breast infections and now I think I have thrush on top of the mastitis. I'm in so much pain right now!!!

I called yesterday about the mastitis and got antibiotics. And I'm waiting for a phone call about the thrush. Do you know anything about it? Should I be worried about my baby?I don't see anything in his mouth. Is there anything I can take over the counter? Thanks
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MentorMom1
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Probiotics - the kind that come in the refrigerator case at your local health food store.

And I would do an anti-candida diet as well. No sugar, yeast breads - anything that feeds the yeast.  I would also consult a nutritionist, or at least read some expert books on the subject. Don't forget that antibiotics kill the good bacteria as well as the bad. 

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I am not sure.  The first post looks like good advice though.  Good luck.  I never had infections, but I would almost start crying because the pain was so bad when my son first latched on.

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Its like that pain times 100!

Quoting ScrChk23:

I am not sure.  The first post looks like good advice though.  Good luck.  I never had infections, but I would almost start crying because the pain was so bad when my son first latched on.

AbbeysMom2013
by Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Oh my goodness! Poor momma! I just stopped breast feeding my daughter at three months, it just didn't work for us. Congrats to you for breastfeeding through all that. Maybe go see or call your dr? I sure hope you feel better soon!
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:18 PM
oh and if you have thrush they will give you something for him likely too. you dont have to stop nursing. i used to get nystatin.
peacerockermom
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:59 PM
If your baby gets thrush just make sure to clean the inside of the mouth with a dry rag or something like that after feeds so the milk does not sit in the mouth.
MentorMom1
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I just had an epiphany. One of the moms in my infant massage class last spring had a similar problem. The thrush was caused, she believes, by rounds of antibiotics that she had to take before she even got pregnant   - due to severe respiratory illness.  The antibiotics killed the good bacterial that keeps the yeast under control. 

After the baby was born, she had an excruciating time breastfeeding. She had thrush and the baby developed thrush and would not latch properly because it hurt to latch onto the whole areola. The mom decided to pump and feed the baby breastmilk in a bottle.  And she went to a naturopath for an alternative to antibiotics. 

Be sure your baby is latching properly. If he isn't, you might go find a lactation consultant through your hospital to help you figure this out. 

So the mom thinks the antibiotics in her system transferred through the placenta, and the baby developed thrush early on. Could be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)