Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why does everyone have to have an opinon on breastfeeding mothers? I wish people would just keep their mouth shut!

Posted by on May. 7, 2007 at 12:01 PM
  • 103 Replies
My decision to breastfeed was not an easy one. My family doesn't seem as supportive as I'd hoped! My sister thinks its absolutely disgusting and seems to have the need to share her opinion every chance she gets. After sharing with my mother in law that my one month old nurses at night around midnight, 3 am, and again at 6 am she told me that was way too often and that he should only nurse every 4 hours. Then she was wondering why I don't use a breast pump so I wouldn't be so tied down. I just don't understand the need of people to always hold an opinion about how or when mothers breastfeed. Can't they just appreciate that mothers are doing the best they can for their children and are just following their insticts? I feed my baby when he is hungry and I wish people would just accept it! Whats the big deal???!
Although many people seem to be so judgemental about this topic...nursing my baby has been one of the most rewarding things in my life!
What does everyone think? How have yall handled family and all their great advice they try and give? ha!
by on May. 7, 2007 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamaz
by on May. 7, 2007 at 12:08 PM
you really need to just ignore them. or tell them to keep it to themselves.  you are doing tthe best tthing for your baby and you.  and you are doing it the right way too i don' know why people have such strong opinions about  it. people don't think anything about formula just a bout breastmilk
Schmiley81
by on May. 7, 2007 at 12:08 PM
Fortunately for me and my daughter my family is very into breastfeeding. My husband was against it but that was because he's only seen woman who whip it out in stores and don't even try to cover themselves. My sister and my friend have both breastfed in front of him and he hasn't even noticed so he's starting to get better about now that he knows it can be done inconspicuously. My daughter was only breastfed for 6 weeks but she is never sick and she is now almost 7. I think it's a great thing and tell everyone else to do their research on it or shut up. that's what I say.
Charlyesmama
by on May. 7, 2007 at 12:09 PM
i decided to brestfeed my daughter during my second trimester after everyone was giving me so much crap over not even considering it.  The first two weeks were the hardest and my mom and boyfriend were all about me quitting and going to formula.  I ended up having to get angry and upset for them to back off.  A few months later there came complaints that I wasn't pumping enough or getting her to use the bottle enough.  I enjoy nursing my baby.  My goal is to do it for a full year but formula has been creeping up and there have been comments again about how she should be using the bottle more so I can work and stuff.  I agree that people should just support us and not criticize us so much.
Nycutie2707
by on May. 7, 2007 at 12:09 PM
I had to stop breast feeding after 3 months bec I had my wisdom teeth pulled and was on pain medication, but my son was both formula and breast fed. However your son is only one month and eating every 3 hours is completely normal. You are doing a wonderful thing. I would just ignore them and say thank you for voicing your oppinion I will take it into consideration...lol then sooner or later they will get the hint to keep it to themselves since they are not getting the reaction they want from you. Most important say everything in a calm manner
Gatorgirl04
by on May. 7, 2007 at 12:10 PM
oh how i dont miss all that drama. I dont understand why people think they can have an opinion on OUR BREASTS!!! gees! lol  makes me so angry. what ur sister and mom say is ridiculous. no offense. do what YOU think and feel is right. forget everyone else. dont give them any thoughts. ignore ignore ignore. Stand strong and believe in urself and ur decisions. Thats how you get through it. Just have to brush it offWink good luck to ya.
sweetcheeks1984
by on May. 7, 2007 at 12:11 PM
amen! i agree with everything u said. i am bf my son and it has been one the best things i have ever done. dont let anyone tell u wat to do. it is ur child u do wat seems right to u.
Klsy
by on May. 7, 2007 at 12:12 PM
I breastfeed my youngest until he was 14 months old... I just ignored what others were saying!   I think that is great you feed him when he is hungry... sounds like is is a healthy baby... that's what is important!!
ilovemyboys2
by on May. 7, 2007 at 12:14 PM
I am glad that you continue to breastfeed through all that is being said.  It is hard not to listen to the comments that every one says but you are doing right by your child.  I breastfed my first son for 4 months and enjoyed it immensly.  I was not able to breastfeed my second but I do wich you the best luck and hope that you continue.  I would suggest trying to get him use to the bottle a little bit just in case something should happen and you are not there to feed him when he is hungry.  It doesn't have to be all of the time or even every day but it might be nice to know that he will take a bottle of breast milk and not only that you do get a break.
lil-momma-shara
by on May. 7, 2007 at 12:16 PM

I understand how you feel. My son is 16 months and he still nurses at night. At first I was thinking he should wean at 12 months(and so did everyone else), but it is easiest to let them wean when they are ready. Don't worry about what people say. You are doing the best thing for your little one. You aren't nursing too much either. You can't schedule a newborns feedings, they will let you know when they are hungry. There isn't no set "schedule". Don't worry your family will adjust and if they don't, it's not your problem! Smile! Your little one is happy! I hope you have a wnderful day!

Shara

rachelkay23
by on May. 7, 2007 at 12:18 PM
well, I'm in a different situation than you b/c my mom is the one who was pushing me to breastfeed.  I planned on it anyway, but it was really hard at first and I wanted to quit.  Now that I've been thinking about starting the bottle (still breastfeeding, but just STARTING the bottle so she's used to it in case of an emergnecy or my husband and I ever want to go out w/out her) and my mom is freaking out and making me feel bad about it.  I think we all need to just do what we think is right.  Some women never breastfeed at all, some just for a couple weeks or couple months, or till a year, and some want to as long as possible....why can't we all just make our own decisions and everyone else stay out of it?!?!?  People were asking me before I even had my daughter if I was going to breastfeed or not and then now that I've had her people ask me if I'm Breastfeeding....I'm kind of like WHY DO YOU CARE LEAVE ME ALONE!!!  So, although I can't completely relate to you, I know how you feel---people need to just mind their own damn business!!!!!  :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)