Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What my OB said to me was a little shocking

I may have mentioned this before but its just too funny. It was a race of who would deliver first because there was a lady next door ready to push at the same time!

Well I won. I pushed my DS out in about 15 min. He was a whopping 10 lbs 11 oz! I had no tearing! I don't know how! 6 mo later and I'm still in shock...lol.

Anyways my doctor did not deliver my baby. He knows I have two teens so he makes the comment at my 6 week check up " wow! Almost 11 lbs and no tearing? Your other two must have just shot right out of there!" DH just laughed.

Lets hear some of your birthing stories!

by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Replies (131-140):
Ellie-Mae
by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

With my first, I was having contractions. We go to the hospital and the nurse hooks me up to the monitor and my contractions disappear and the one I felt didn't even show up. She smirks and says "I guess you'll be going home." Then she checks me and I'm 5cm. I smirk back and say "Guess I won't be going home."

I'm admitted and a few hours later they check me and I'm 6cm. They're all happy with the progress, and I'm sitting there thinking, "all that for 1cm???" 30 minutes later, I ask to be checked again. The nurse was going to protest, but looked at my face and thought better of it. I was 10cm and crowning. 

BTW, "Don't push"...has to be the most useless thing you can tell a woman without an epidural who's crowning.

MommaMaddie486
by Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 11:28 PM

My nurse told me to stop pushing until he dr arrived and I said I didn't think I could wait. She said "I can't deliver your baby, it's too much paperwork." Lol

The doctors only comment was, "you did great, but I barely got my gloves on."

Lovesilky21
by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 11:32 PM

With my first dd, I remember the first time I pushed, and the nurse told me to stop and wait that I wasn't ready and that when I did need to push next I needed to push much harder, I had to wait a half hour before she thought I was ready enough to push, which I was natural no epi, or anything, my body was pushing all on its own by the end of that half hour, there really isn't a stop.

With my son, he came fast or fast-ish. I was induced and had been for a few hour and had only progressed one so I was a 5, I had walked around for weeks a 4, well my dr comes in a 7 am and say we need to brake my water and put in a monitor to see if the contractions are hard enough, so he brakes my water and puts in that horrible painful monitor(ouch ouch ouch), then he talks to us for a few min maybe 5 right, walks out of the room, gone a few mins and I look at the nurse and say I have to push, she says no you were just checked, I look back I need to push, she comes over and looks, and runs out the room to look for my dr, she finds him and he comes in and I think I pushed 3 or 4 times and had my ds, then I went on to have complication or bleeding, and my dr ordering med, to which the nurse second guesses his order, and he gets pissed, but is handling me, finally gets me settled, take the nurse out of the room and yells at her, never saw her again.

I'm so worried to have my next (due in dec.) as I bleed badly with both my others, I'm having trouble evening remembering how I was able to be so strong to have them both, but I would also like to avoid being induced for 8+ hour and having it do nothing tell my water brakes. I guess we will see fingers crossed for smooth
mistressflora
by Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 11:34 PM

My male doctor kept telling me "its fine, it isnt that bad, you will live" I was so angry, (was on no pain meds and starting to crown)  i was like 'Is isnt that bad? have you given birth?? no??? yeah then you have NO IDEA!" I was just being so mean to him, I felt so bad!

dereksmom09
by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 11:38 PM
The only thing I remember is talking to the doctor about food while he is stitching me up. I had the best doctor ever.
1RedHottMama
by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 11:46 PM
When I had my daughter I drove myself to the hospital took the elevator up to labor and delivery and waited about 15 minutes til it was my turn and when the nurse asked me what my reason for coming in was and I said I am in labor,she said i'm sure you are mistaken and asked me how long in between my contractions were and I said less than a minute. Her eyes got huge and she yelled for someone to bring a wheelchair and I said I don't need a wheelchair what room are we going into? I followed her to the room and got into the gown and less than a minute afyer she put the monitor on my stomach my water broke but I wasn't dialated at all. A few minutes passed and my doctor came in and she gave him all the info and he checked to see if I was dialated completely and her head was about to crown. He starts yelling for the nurses to clear the delivery room because I couldn't wait. Before the head nurse came back in my daughter was born right there in the exam room. My doctor handed me my daughter while he clamped off her umbilical cord. When he was finished that he looked over at me and said do me a favor the next time you get pregnant can we slow it down a little bit because i'm to old for this shit. I told him I
would try to keep that in mind. When I got pregnant for my son he said don't pull that same shit on me again or you will give me a heart attack. My daughter is about to be 21 and in a few months he will be delivering her baby too and he has already warned her not to try the same thing as her mom. He is like a part of our family still after all these years.
momma2zac2006
by Member on Aug. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
With my youngest I had a student Dr that delivered him. They were cleaning him up and my husband was taking pics as instructed and I'm spread eagle while the ob and midwife decide for like 15 mins if I need stitches or not. So I called my mom. Lol she had my other kids and I wanted to tell her the baby was born. They gave me a weird look but it was better than thinking about them standing there discussing my womanhood. My sisters have way funnier labor stories than I did.
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2013 at 12:12 AM

oh how I would love for this baby to be a 7 lb baby.I'm on number 4 and my smallest was my 1st and she was 8lb 7oz... I have since had 2 boys 9lbs 7oz and 9lbs 5 oz.the last one was  an induced VBAC( my first son got stuck because his hand was up beside his head) with no pain meds

Quoting ZeeRo:

Wow! I honestly don't know how mothers of big babies do it. My first child was my biggest at 7lb 1oz and he was three weeks late!
Well done for sticking to your guns too :-)

Quoting FireMoonGypsy:

My first was 9lb5oz; 32 hour labor, 30 minute delivery. I had gestational diabetes with my second, and she was gaining weight quickly, so they were trying to convince me to do a C-section. I saw multiple doctors in my practice, and only 1 would consider letting me deliver naturally and that was only because my son was a large baby. They were trying to tell me my baby would without a doubt suffer shoulder dysplacia and end up with a broken collar bone and that would be the best case scenario - they were claiming my baby was 11 1/2 lbs. I have nothing against C-section, I was just convinced my body could handle a natural delivery. They did an amniostecis (Sp?) at 37 weeks to determine if the lungs were developed enough. Sure enough, they were. They induced me at the hospital, but they were only giving me a small window of time to dilate -10 hours, which was small for me considering how long it took me to dilate the first time. I wasn't dilating, but my nurse convinced the doctor to hold off for another hour. It still wasn't working, so they were going to prep me for surgery. As another nurse walked in with my orders, I felt a TREMENDOUS pressure- in 15 minutes, I went from a 4 to full 10! 3 pushes, and she was here! All 9 POUNDS 5 OUNCES...the exact same as her brother. No ripping. The doctor who was the most against a natural delivery happened to be at the hospital at the time. He popped in, looked at me and said, " HMMM, well it looks like you did it. I was wrong. Good job, Ace!" and left. My husband was crying while admiring our daughter, and I just started cheering like I won the world series. Pretty sure the nurses thought I was nuts. 

jyurina
by on Aug. 10, 2013 at 12:28 AM

While I was in transition, and the nurses kept telling me it was impossible and they took their sweet time missing my vein for an IV(my entire arm hand was purple from bruising) i got a bit LOUD. One of the nurses came in to tell me that I needed to quiet down because it was 4 in the morning. I nearly hit her with an oxegen mask. Once everyone realized I had gone from 3 centimeters to 9 in 40 minutes they stoppped trying to shush me and stick needles in me and finally believed I was actually in active labor. My son was born within 40 minutes. Needless to say baby 2 was born in a Birth Center.

sandykmac
by on Aug. 10, 2013 at 1:11 AM

With my first, I got Demerol for pain.  The doctor had to wake me up to show my son to me.  I fell back to sleep and slept for a couple hours more.  With my second, I took my time and my son was born within a half hour.  My boyfriend would try and hold my hand, but I just couldn't stand to be touched.  The third one gave me heartburn really bad.  While I was in labor, they hooked me up to the monitor and every time I'd lay down, the heartburn would make me sick.  They let me sit up for a while, but when they finally made me lay down, I threw up.  Some fun.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)