Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

extreme abdominal pain, needing advice. anything!

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2013 at 10:14 PM
  • 82 Replies
1 mom liked this

Yesterday morning started out with what felt just like serious bloating and gas pains, focalized around my stomach area. Back pains had become increasingly painful by the minute..standing was killing my back muscles, they felt like they were on FIRE and knives stabbing the sore spots and fists clenching around the knives. I just figured I was about to start my period so I took some Midol and it took the edge off of all the pain for sure. But if I pressed on my stomach I still felt that horrible pain..which was unusual for me. I tried everything last night, bowel movements, passing gas, burping..nothing made that pain really go away.

This morning when I woke up to my son waking up, I almost couldnt move. The pain in my back and stomach region was unbearable. But I pushed through it until I had to pick him up. Holding him was pressing right on the painful areas and I was crunching over with him in my arms. Luckily aftr his bottle he went back to sleep fast. This constant deep heavy pain had me unable to function properly to care for him, so I left him with my mother and went to the hospital. I know what constipation feels like and it wasn't constipation, nor is it heartburn. You know that feeling when you are beyond hungry and that emptiness starts to create a huge pain in your stomach? That's what it feels like, times 10. At the hospital I was seen almost immediately and did a urine test, and the doctor came in to press around on me and all. Then a wicked nurse who was probably having a bad day came in and gave me an antacid (which hasn't helped anything) and then came back in to give me an antibiotic for my UTI and left. She didn't explain anything to me except that that's what I had. When she came back in AGAIN I told her I had questions.

"I've had a UTI before and it was so far into the infection, had I waited a few more days I would have had kidney failure and that pain was not like this" I said. 

She replies, "Well this is the beginning of the infection."

"So...how could I have gotten this?"

"Do you wear cotton underwear? You know how you young girls wear those....different underwears...."

"I dont wear thongs if thats what you mean. I ONLY wear cotton underwear."

"Do you wipe from front to back everytime?"

"Yes. Always."

"It could be something unsanitary during intercourse, somethings there's bacteria that gets around.."

"I dont have sex."

"Do you take a lot of baths?"

"Actually no. I shower."

"Well....you know...." and she shook her head like I was just supposed to understand why I have a UTI.

She prescribed all kinds of things to take..and I left in disbelief. The pain has gotten worse since earlier today at the hospital and I am waiting until midnight to take the next antibiotic because it has to be spaced every twelve hours. The UTI I had 4 years ago when I was on the west coast was more of a focalized pain somewhere on the side of my torso and came in waves of gripping pain, plus there was pain sometimes when peeing. I got some cranberry juice and drank the whole thing but it didn't help..so I asked some guy to give me a ride to the hospital and made a friend out of it. But they explained everything to me there. 

So I guess just because they did a urine sample at the hospital today...that UTI popped up and that's exactly what it is? Or were they just assuming I had a UTI? lol This seriously doesnt feel anywhere close to a UTI. All the pain is in my upper abdomen and constant and heavy and deep and I cant walk right, sit right, and laying down it just feels like my burning organs are out of place. 

Any advice would be so lovely right now. I've been waiting all day to get on here to post this.

by on Aug. 11, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EvaTheDiva2
by Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 10:20 PM
I had something similar last week. So bad I was on the floor hoping I would die. Worse than chikd birth! I'm thinking endometriosis or something. But I went to er and they did a pregk test and blood work. And a pap. Everything was fine. It sucked!!! I took like 8 ibuprofins and it just took the edge off enough to stand up. Gaw!
amberwaves88
by on Aug. 11, 2013 at 10:23 PM

that sucks!! but this is not even a slight chance of pregnancy or foreign bacteria...and it has nothing to do with my lower abdomen. :( glad you got to feeling better though :)

romanceparty4u
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

If your symptoms worsen, go back.
There IS a possibility that it could be a UTI AND something else going on.

Should have given you pain medication, as well as antibiotics-

that said, depending on what they put you on, it might not even be resistant...doing you no good at all. I hope they did a culture, and I hope you follow up to get the results of the culture.

romanceparty4u
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM

are you a diabetic? Diabetes in your family?

Diabetics get UTI very easily.

However, it might have been just a fluke----it is an "open orifice" after all. Could have been too tight of pants, riding a bike, using strong soap, anything can cause a UTI. Doesn't have to be thongs or sex. Can even be tampon use or pads from your period having deodorant, or "cheap dollar store feminine hygiene products".

Quoting amberwaves88:

that sucks!! but this is not even a slight chance of pregnancy or foreign bacteria...and it has nothing to do with my lower abdomen. :( glad you got to feeling better though :)

buggaboo300
by New Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 10:30 PM

That kinda sounds like a kidney stone. It's possible.

amberwaves88
by on Aug. 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM

No I'm not diabtetic, and I dont ride a bike or wear tight clothes or use soap on my vag area, i just clean right there with water because i know using soap directly can cause whatever infection sometimes..that's why its just bizarre to me and it's KILLING me right now. Inhaling hurts, exhaling hurts, everything freakin hurts :( and I dont know how a UTI would affect my upper abdomen like this without any pain whatsoever "down there." I'm just to the point where I'm mad about it because I dont understant it lol

amberwaves88
by on Aug. 11, 2013 at 10:38 PM

also i dont use cheap feminine hygiene products lol i just buy what i normally buy from walmart and i dont even sleep with a tampon in. and pads of course i change regularly, but im not on my period, so thats out the door. Thanks though. It's just nothing sounds right because I havent been doing anything wrong or unusual. I'm pretty aware of what to look out for when it comes to taking care of down there, but like I said it just doesnt seem likely that this is a UTI..unless it absolutely IS, then I cant argue but it really doesnt seem even close to it.

Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM
I've had infections like that alot. I ended up on an IV. After I had my hysterectomy I quit having them. I had PID and adenomyosis also so I built an extremely high pain tolerance so my uti's were always iv bad. Looked pregnant. Hope you get to feelin better soon.
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM
2 moms liked this
If it still hurts go to the Dr sounds lime your gall bladder :) hugs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 10:44 PM
It can get that bad. My bloating went up into my ribs and I had the dry heaves. See previous comment lol. Those uti's are strange things. Do you drink a lot of water? Dehydration can cause it.

Quoting amberwaves88:

No I'm not diabtetic, and I dont ride a bike or wear tight clothes or use soap on my vag area, i just clean right there with water because i know using soap directly can cause whatever infection sometimes..that's why its just bizarre to me and it's KILLING me right now. Inhaling hurts, exhaling hurts, everything freakin hurts :( and I dont know how a UTI would affect my upper abdomen like this without any pain whatsoever "down there." I'm just to the point where I'm mad about it because I dont understant it lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)